Lock washers on main & rod bolts?

Guest mowog

Guest mowog

Hi guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't have a heck of a lot of experience here, only having done the MG ... Should the main bearing bolts and rod nuts have lock washers or something on them (248 engine)? I believe the mains DID have locks when I took them off a year ago, but might shouldn't have been there anyhow - half of them were broken. I know someone's been in this engine before me. Don't remember anything on the rods. ... Hard to believe I'm actually putting this thing back together again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mowog

FWIW, I just found the baggie I cleverly put the conn rod lock-washers in. Even dropped a label in with them. What will I think of next? Just going to torque down the mains and call it good. Soon as I get the correct rear main. Kanter (actually their supplier) sent me a .020 instead of .010. Kinda tight. Kanter was going to call me today, but didn't. Northwestern DID call back, they have the bearing, it's on its way. Just read about them in this month's Auto Restorer. Maybe THIS weekend I'll roll out the hoist.