Need info on 1927? Chrysler

Hello all, I bought myself a gem... Now I want to know what it is! I was at an auction (I'm usually more into tractors) and ended up buying what was labeled as a 27 Chrysler. I then proceded to call my wife and say, "Guess what you just bought....". She took it rather well. Anyway, It's got a four banger in it, missing the distributor, generator, and link between the steering gearbox and the front end, all the glass, interior handles, and left rear door handle/latch hardware, radiator cap, etc. Most the rest is still there. Pretty rusty all over, but I'll know more when we tear into the engine. So, here are some of the numbers I could find:

Block, stamped: 77365A

Head, cast: 441070

Manifold, cast: 41063-3

Firewall: 26550

Dash: AH184D

It'd be great if someone could look them up for me, I don't have any of the resources. Also a line on any parts or advice would be helpfull. I don't have a title, we'll have to see how picky they are in the Sioux City IA area about getting that fixed. This is what most of you would probably call parts, and maybe I should find a better one, but my wife likes it and I hate to part stuff out. I should be able to get it running mechanically, but it's got a ways to go beyond that. I did get an extra radiator with it, and that is something. The fenders are all beat up pretty good. The wood spokes are all there but may be loose. This car spent a lot of time outside. The roof is gone. All the chrome is peeled up and rusting underneath. Increadibly my wife found that the rear window shade was still there and still rolls down. Oh, it's got mechanical brakes on the back only. I'd appreciate any info on how this car fits in the big picture of production, do I have one of thousands, or a quirky in-betweener? Popular or unpopular, with who? Is it more suited for parts (as in, should I buy another one?) or is it worth working on? I may have more pictures soon. Anyway, I've rambled on enough, from what I've read of other posts I got the feeling there were some people around here with some knowlege and opinions, and that's what I'm after. Thanks.

post-47240-143137900921_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I bought myself a gem... Now I want to know what it is! I was at an auction (I'm usually more into tractors) and ended up buying what was labeled as a 27 Chrysler. I then proceded to call my wife and say, "Guess what you just bought....". She took it rather well. Anyway, It's got a four banger in it, missing the distributor, generator, and link between the steering gearbox and the front end, all the glass, interior handles, and left rear door handle/latch hardware, radiator cap, etc. Most the rest is still there. Pretty rusty all over, but I'll know more when we tear into the engine. So, here are some of the numbers I could find:

Head, cast: 441070

Manifold, cast: 41063-3

It'd be great if someone could look them up for me, I don't have any of the resources. Also a line on any parts or advice would be helpfull. I don't have a title, we'll have to see how picky they are in the Sioux City IA area about getting that fixed. This is what most of you would probably call parts, and maybe I should find a better one, but my wife likes it and I hate to part stuff out. I should be able to get it running mechanically, but it's got a ways to go beyond that. I did get an extra radiator with it, and that is something. The fenders are all beat up pretty good. The wood spokes are all there but may be loose. This car spent a lot of time outside. The roof is gone. All the chrome is peeled up and rusting underneath. Increadibly my wife found that the rear window shade was still there and still rolls down. Oh, it's got mechanical brakes on the back only. I'd appreciate any info on how this car fits in the big picture of production, do I have one of thousands, or a quirky in-betweener? Popular or unpopular, with who? Is it more suited for parts (as in, should I buy another one?) or is it worth working on? I may have more pictures soon. Anyway, I've rambled on enough, from what I've read of other posts I got the feeling there were some people around here with some knowlege and opinions, and that's what I'm after. Thanks. </div></div>

The number on the firewall is undoubtedly the body number - placed there by the firm that built the body

The AH-184-D on the dash is the FEDCO serial number. Chrysler used the following letters / numbers, while all other letters appear to be just letters :

W-P-C-H-R-Y-S-L-E-D

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

Thus AH-184-D converts to A-31849. Thus numbers falls into the sequence - AC-500-P to AH-254-R (or A-25001 to A-32544), which is for a Canadian-built 1927 Chrysler 50, model I. The American model I was FW-000-P to FL-486-E (F-00001 to F-74868)

In 1927 General Motors announced that Fisher Body would build bodies only for GM products. One of Fsiher Body's clients was Chrysler, both in Canada and the U.S. As the only other body builder in Canada, Canada Top & Body in Tilbury, Ontario, was busy with body production for Durant and Willys in Canada, Chrysler of Canada acquired the Fisher Body plants in Walkerville and began building their own bodies.

The engine number should be stamped on the left side of the block, below the head, by cylinders 1 & 2. If the engine is correct for that model, the engine number should begin with the letter "I". The number 77365 would be about right for the car's serial number as Chrysler of Canada imported engines from Detroit prior to 1938 and the numbers were the same sequence as used in the U.S. In the U.S. Chrysler built 74,869 Chrysler model 50 cars for 1927 with another 7,545 in Canada - according to serial number sequences. The engine was a continuation of the Maxwell model 25 engine. dating back to about 1915.

Mechanically the car will be virtually identical to the U.S. Chrysler 50. While the body was built in Canada, I am sure you will find the parts are the same as in the U.S. as well as the bodies were designed and engineered by Chrysler. Fisher Body, and other contracted body builders, generally built the bodies to Chrysler specs. Bodies for the American model 50 were built by Budd, from what I can gather.

The 1927 model 50 (I) and early 1928 model 52 (I*) used mechanical brakes. At serial number HR-182-R in the U.S. and GW-271-W in Canada hydraulic brakes were adopted. The external, contracting mechanical brakes on the I and I* are the same. Being external contracting, on the rear wheels and on the driveshaft emergency brake, the band can be removed and relined. They used to make woven brake material for for this type of brake which was rivetted to the band.

The outer part of the drum was used as the braking surface. When the brake was applied, the band ends were pulled together (contracted) and the lining made contact with the outer side of the drum. When the brake was released, the long spring pushed the band away from the drum. This technology was used on Chrysler's driveshaft emergency brake into the 1950's.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 1 year later...