trouble finding rubber carpet

olds88

Hi, I have had great response using this forum in the past and was hoping someone could tell me where to get the rubber floor carpets for my 1956 olds post sedan. I ordered the original seat farbric from SMS and was happy with it, but for some reason they can't seem to find the rubber carpet. I ordered it from them a month ago and they charged my credit card and I have called them about every day and still no mats. they said they could only find blue ones and I need black. They say they think they have them but just can't find them. Does anyone know of another place that I could try, I have tried places like USA parts, Kanter, etc. and if for some reason I can't get the rubber carpet and I have to put in black regular pile carpet, does anyone know of a good place to order it from ? Also what do you think putting in carpet instead of rubber mats will do to the value of the car from a show standpoint, I am trying to keep it all original. Thanks for any comments from all.

There was a guy on ebay a while back who had a large inventory of 50s rubber mats in almost all colors. I can't remember his username but he was in SC and had bought out the Greer Trim Shop inventory. Try searching nos floor mats every so often and see if he shows back up.

As an alternative- could the blue mats possibly be dyed black for your interior? I know that's a halfassed approach especially considering what you probably paid SMS for them.

You might see if the Buick guys have a source for them. Specials would have used the same material. I don't know if a base 88 2d sedan could have been ordered with carpets or not.

Thanks for the info. I saw the new one on ebay and have sent them an inquiry as to what color it is and what markings it has on it but still no response after more than a day...and I am sending my credit card a notice that I never received the merchandise from SMS so they can reverse the charges since SMS does not even return my calls now. I guess if all else fails I will have to put in balck carpet instead.