So much for fix it yourself tape deck!

Well last night I took the tape deck out of my 88 reatta to change the rubber belt and THAT was a mistake. I have never seen so many tiny screws, not to mention the belt being smack in the center of the damn thing. After an hour, armed with a screwdriver and some tweezers I gave up, put the stuff in baggies and a box and put it up in the closet. Is there a CD player which would fit in that spot or hell anything else? I did a search but am interested if anyone has taken this on recently and ended up going for a cd player or a whole new upgraded tape deck?

Guest kennyw

UNREG,<BR>Look on tape, kennyw in the forum. I got good advice from a member on doing this. Yes, it is a complacated item. I found my problem was mostly no lube on the moving parts. If your belt is still in one piece try that fix first......k

I also have a box of parts that used to be a tape deck. Parts fell out when I disassembled to replace the belt. I don't have a clue where they need to go. I was lucky enough to find a replacement deck to fill the hole, but it also has the same problem as the first one. It forever alternates the direction from forward to reverse and back. I think someday I will have the belts replaced by a pro.

The problem with the tape constantly reversing back and forth is caused by the end of tape optical sensor. This sensor has an almost 100% failure rate. The mechanical part of the deck is also a weak sister design, but it doesn't cause the reversing symptom.