1937 Special Sun Visor, Are brackets same for Left & Right?

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Guest 1937RHDNZ

I have only one sun visor bracket, the right hand side (drivers for me). It appears not to 'sit' properly, so I'm wondering if it a left side put on backwards.

Any help appreciated, Regards Neil

Guest tin knocker

I have the same car and I just went out to check. The brackets appear the same so it would be possible to mount them on either side. However, the brackets are mounted where the roof is curved and the visor arm exits the bracket at more than 90 degrees. It looks as though mounting them on the wrong side would cause the visor to hit against the headliner before it came into position above the windshield. In order to swing properly on the wrong side you would have to mount the bracket upside down.

Rollie

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Rollie, My headlining is newish and covers the unfitted side mounting holes. I may try to fold back the headlining and see how it looks. I don't, at this stage, wish to put a hole through the lining. I realise Bob's have these bits forsale, but with his minimum export purchase amounts etc. A simple bracket will turn out to be very expensive.

Maybe somebody may have a visor assembly, or just the bracket for sale. As I am in New Zealand, I would only be able to pay via concealed cash or paypal.

I know the NZ Buick guys follow these forums, maybe they could help. my email address is listed.

Guest tin knocker

Before you loosen the headliner you may be able to locate the support for the bracket and the 3 screw holes with a needle. The support should be in the exact same place as the one on the other side where you have attached the mounting bracket. Careful probing with a needle may save you some work. You may have some luck by posting on the buy/sell. I am sure someone would be able to furnish a visor. Mine needed recovering and I sent them to a fella in N.Y. state who did a terrific job and his price was reasonable. Good luck.

Rollie

Guest 1937RHDNZ

I have removed the bracket and note that it has a slight bias, which would mean a dedicated bracket to each side. My bracket has a number in the casting, being TO6350R. The R would indicate right I guess. The bracket I have may not even be a Buick part, maybe some other GM. Does anybody recognise this number, it was very hard to read. Any help appreciated.

Guest tin knocker

I just removed my left side visor and bracket to check for numbers. The numbers are T06351 and what could be a lower case L but is not exactly clear. Also a larger number 6 in a circle of approximately 1/4 inch diameter is located along side those numbers.

Rollie

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Rollie thats excellent, Now I know that I have the correct original part for the right hand side. So now I'm looking for a left hand visor bracket or complete assembly with part number TO6351L. Once I find one, this should keep my wife happy, as she has no visor at present. It is the middle of winter here and the sun is very low. Cheers from NZ.

• 5 years later...
Guest Grant Magrath

Where did you last see it?

Just kidding! Bob's Automobilia could probably sell you some nice new ones. I find the originals to be quite brittle with age and tend to break when you either attempt to swing a stuck sunvisor around, or when you do up the 3 screws.

Cheers

Grant

Grant and Others: If I'm looking this up correctly, 28-41 Body Parts Book shows the following:

Group 10.219 Support assembly, Sunshade Body Pt. # 4074302 Rt. and 4074303 Lt.

Fits 1937-38-39 Ser.40-60 exc. convertibles; 1940 Ser. 40-50-60-70.

Looks like you can expand your search.

Guest Grant Magrath

Nice info Dave.

We had some new 39 Chevy ones in the coupe, but they didn't sit right. Put some original Buick ones in there, and we were all good! Like you say, the 38 sedan ones worked in the coupe as well.

Cheers

Grant