Brake Master assy 1646521

You may want to check speedway auto in AZ.<BR>They are expensive but will have the parts.<BR>you can also check with Jim Finn in Duluth, MN. Do a search for his name and you should get contact info.<BR>Good Luck. grin.gif" border="0

I am glad you asked what happen... I was having my car serviced at the local Buick dealership for a leak. I was having to add brake fluid every other week. Anyway they replace the high pressure hose 25528384. I was driving my car two days later and had to apply the brakes hard... and lost power to the brakes.I heard a loud noise from under the hood. I found the hose off, it also pull the threads off of the master cylinder. I complained to the service manager and GM,and also Buick customer service #. They offered to take off $250 off on the $1800 part. I had my car towed back home. Have anyone had the threads come off the master cylinder? I feel that they cross threaded or over tighten the hose. I have the parts, How can I prove this? Could a "good" machine shop repair? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Guest wally888

Your answer raises another question!<BR> Why did Buick (Teves) replace the hose, mid year 1988? Some 88's have the 89 configuration, a steel tube.<BR> Don't think there was a Service Bulletin.<BR> Maybe Barney knows.<BR> Sounds like a cross thread to me unless(have not looked at housing) some one tightened 1st, cracked housing, then installed the new hose.<BR> If the housing is large enough, it could be drilled, rethreaded larger and NAPA could make you a hose. I made this up but someone can confirm or deny.<BR> Think I would have been more assertive, maybe not too late. Can anyone think of a logical reason the fitting would blow out?<p>[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: wally888 ]

Sounds like you should go a little higher up the food chain at the dealership & get them to take resposibility for the damages. ... and find a better dealership next time if these guys don't own up to it.

I agree with everyone else. Someone messed up and crossthreaded the line. I too would be a squeaky wheel till I got some oil. As a recommendation to getting a new one, I highly reccomend Jim Finn. His email is jfinn@computerpro.com I have dealt with Him and He does everything He can to verify the quality of the parts and He is reasonable.

Someone said "ask Barney" (he has an opinion on everything)<P>I believe the reason was cost. <P>1st design..... high pressure hose with a machined connection crimped on both ends, plus the special hollow bolt on both ends. Plus 4 sealing washers. <BR>Total cost 53.68 (1992 parts book)<P>2nd design.... standard steel brake line with a flair nut on each end.<BR>Total cost 23.20 (1992 parts book)<p>[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Barney Eaton ]

• 4 weeks later...

How hard is it to install a complete master cylinder assy on an 88 model? I do not have a shop manual... I have worked on all my autos before the Reatta

The master cylinder is very expensive and not economically feasable. It could probably be rethreadeed oversize and some sort of adapter installed, but no shop would undertake such a repair due to liability.<P>Your best bet is to find a complete used assembly and swap it out. If you wish, the used unit can be rebuilt for a reasonable price.<P>Installion/removal consist of removing several electrical plugs, three hydraulic brake lines, either two or four nuts/bolts and the push rod pin. Not too bad unless you round off one of the hydraulic line hex nuts.<P>The brakes are the number one problem with the pre 1991 Reatta, but reasonable cost repair options are available.