'91 Reatta Accellerator pedal won't budge

PSOHorn

My 1991 Buick Reatta was running fine a few weeks ago. I parked it in the garage for several weeks and now I find that the engine will start and idle but the accellerator pedal will not move when I try to push it down. My husband disconnected the cables going from the pedal to the fuel injection unit, and the pedal then moves up and down easily, indicating that the problem is not in the cable system but rather in the fuel injector mechanism itself. The throttle arm with the springs attached to it will not move at all. Has anyone experienced this with their Reatta or does anyone know what the cause might be?

Thanks,

Nina and Mike Miller

This is unusual and your husband started at a good place.

The throttle body has two shafts and there must be some obstruction that has caused the problem. On a car that is reguarly driven I would not expect this.

It is going to take some additional work to solve the problem as it could be something simple or a condition that has developed over time.

The good news.... you can probably find a good used part in the wrecking yard on '91 and up "L" engines. I don't know how new you can go but there should be hundreds of 3800 Bonnevilles, LeSabres out there that can yeald a good part.

Barney, is there anything that would hold the throttle body closed in a locked position that you can think of? (ie, stuck soldenoid, etc.?)There is a shiny metal rod at the bottom of the throttle body with electrical wires going to it. Can you tell me what this is and could malfunction at this part cause the throttle body to lock?

thanks for all your help!