Model Ford T - but what year approx. ??

Melissa_Canada

Hi -

I have been doing genealogy research and was given this old tin photograph. I would really like to identify the year of it. I know this is quite old possibly around 1910 or could it be later?? Can anyone please identify the approximate year for me? Very appreciated.

Thanks!

Melissa

model_ford_T.jpg

Melissa

The notation "Canada" leads me to assume that the family photo may have been taken in Canada. Based on that its my guess that the car in question is a 1912 Mclaughlin Buick. Not sure what model, but you can find a pretty good shot of the same side of a 12 McLaughlin on the City of Toronto web site http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1244/f1244_it3195.jpg

From what I can see it matches pretty well except the acetelene tanks in your photo appear to be missing in the Archival photo, however they might be hiding under that spare!

Perhaps I am wrong but hopefully this will get the discussion going.

Stephen

Yes, you are correct it was taken in Canada. Actually it was taken in Campbellford, Ontario. It's also a tintype photograph.

I have been trying to compare early century automobiles in comparing the length from back seat to the front seat, steering wheel, the lower acetelene tanks and no windsheild.

Thanks for the link. This may be my clue or at least a start in the right direction!

If anyone else has any thoughts on this please let me know!

Melissa

Style of the car would indicate 1908-1910, background makes me think it is a paper moon. That is a photographers prop, in early car days a comercial photographer would set up a car ( his transportation or a car just for the purpose, even a complete fake job sometimes) as a scene for portraits. Usually at fairs or tourist spots, background was a painted canvas ( hence the term after a moon frequently being painted in the sky). This looks like a real car, car scenes lasted until the novelty of autos wore off.

i don't know about the car , but take a look at those cool hats ... wow ! here's a clue ... most childrens clothes were store bought in canada about that time .... compare the little girls outfit to some old catalogs you might find online ... maybe sears & roebuck vintage catalogs ? and the older woman's hat was probably store bought ... clues , clues , clues ! also the shallow clamshell door is a dead give-away ... gentlemen ? also , is it just me , or is the driver ( that dashing example of a man , whoever he is ) on the right side of the car ? the shadows say he is on the left side of the car ... the top irons are another clue and those 2 levers in front of the man , more clues ! melissa ... good luck and don't stop looking for clues ! oh , and stay in touch with us . let us know what you found out , okay .... eh ? p.s. note : the ladies watch .

also not the number of rings around the lights ... same as oldsmobile about 1911 , as i understand , the lamps were removable to replace the carbides . and the rear doorhandle .... shaped like a stirrup ? hmmmm ? the slope on the front entry threshhold is different on these cars , dont you think ? the air bladder for the horn appears to be close to the man's foot in your picture , whereas in the example above is hand operated ... i AM thinking OLDSMOBILE , people . it's probably the same guy , though , just a little later in the day , after dropping off some people at the tractor pulls in toronto .

see WHERE the rear handle is ? were there 2 different McLaughlin-Buick models ? and the angle of the steering wheel in the Canadian Heritage Gallery ? ... it is at less of an angle in your picture than the Canadian Heritage Gallery example ... this is not a buick . the upward swoop at the back of the Canadian Heritage Gallery example is sharper and the top iron placement is further forward on " your " car ... guys , i know i am the newbie , but i am thinking oldsmobile , probably limited edition .