ebay taillight lens

Barney Eaton

Buyer beware.... that Reatta taillight lens may be the inner part, I have never disassembled a rear lens and was originally thinking this was not a Reatta (production) part. <P>The note for John below is probably correct.<p>[ 05-18-2001: Message edited by: Barney Eaton ]

It might be the innner ( colored ) lens that sits between the lamp housing and the smoked outer lens. It looks about right for that. I don't know anyone who needs to replace that though.<BR>John

I saw that on Ebay.<P>The seller admited that he just thought it was from a Reatta. From his corrections it may seem that he had a few emails, perhaps from this group? grin.gif" border="0

Guest Greg Ross

I've recently obtained a new outer lens, have done the initial disassembly, removal of adhesive and dry fitted it all back together. When I take it apart again for final assembly I'll compare, it certainly looks like the mid-lens minus the black trim.<BR>It's truly incredible what a difference there is with the fresh outer lens, the original lens had hazed badly enough that even after polishing the mid lens detail was not visable, oh and the fresh bright chrome lettering stands out and Kicks you!<BR>The disassembly process was a treat, it took several hours to coax the layers apart, all along assuming that something was going to crack. As I started to pull the lens cover off the mid-lens parted away from the backing layer more readily. After completely splitting it all apart all the inner surfaces were in need of cleaning, the factory body seal material was still soft and relatively easily removed.<BR>In a post here some time ago it was suggested while this assembly is off the car all the bulbs be replaced, what I found was two corner marker bulbs burned out that I didn't even know were there.<BR>The effort will be worth it! smile.gif" border="0

I am doing the same to mine. the parts are temporarily assembled together without the adhesive. However it took a little less than an hour to get mine apart. I could have probably done it faster if I had the strength of a gorilla. The nuts holding the lower reflectors are difficult to remove without snapping the plastic stud. I broke one and am trying to find something that will repair it. The new lens does make an incredible difference.

Well in responce to all the tail light hazing problems I have found another solution. There is a product called "NIGHT SHADES" with you spray on the outside of the lens witch makes it look black but it still allows almost all the light to still come through when you hit the brakes or turn the lights on. It looks good on my black 89 never seen it with any other color but it might be worth a try. It can be removed with any damage to the lens if you don't like it.