Rebuilt or new master cylinder

Guest wmptom

This is for my Buick dealer, who is trying to help out a friend who has a Reatta in bad condition that has been stored for 6 years. I gave the test information etc, but he says the owner wants to replace the master cylinder. The best he can do through GM is 2K. He asked who I might suggest for a new or rebuilt part. I gave his Jim Finn's e-mail for needed used parts. Car is an 89. The owner may decide to part with the car, so I also suggested Jim, as it is not currently drivable.

Guest F14CRAZY

Aye. Have you tried Prior Reman? If the customer is insisting on a new/rebuilt unit, Prior has them for around $600 as I remember. Bad thing is that it probably doesn't need a new master cylinder.

yES F, I AGREE THAT THE PART PROBABLY ISN'T NEEDED. I GAVE THE TEST TO THE SERVICE MANAGER, BUT THE OWNER SEEMS TO WANT THE MASTER UNIT. HE GETS RED AND YELLOW LIGHTS IMMEDIATELY, AND THE CAR HAS BEEN IN STORAGE FOR 6 YEARS, WITH A TON OF CORN ON THE ENGINE. I FIGURE IF HE WERE REALLY SHARP HE MIGHT NOT HAVE TO BUY GAS IF HE GETS THE THING RUNNING. IS PRIOR'S WEB ADDRESS AS OBIVIOUS AS THE NAME.

THANKS

TOM

Guest F14CRAZY

Of course, the dealer techs don't know a thing about the Teves system, and when it dies, they want to replace it all. The customer probably got sucked into it, too.

No, in this case the service guy pretty much follows my lead as he is doing with this guy, who wants the master cylinder. I've found several mechanics with my TRs before and Reatta now, who listen, and do what they are asked. I don't think the guy is being lead.

Tom,

Thanks for all the nice recomemdations.

I agree, if the red and yellow lights are coming on right away he only needs either the accumulator, or the pressure switch or the pump and motor or a relay.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, in this case the service guy pretty much follows my lead as he is doing with this guy, who wants the master cylinder. I've found several mechanics with my TRs before and Reatta now, who listen, and do what they are asked. I don't think the guy is being lead. </div></div>

Tom just said that the customer wants the master cylinder replaced, and that the mechanic would otherwise go with the brake test instructions and stuff that Tom provided to him.