How to take out the valve lifter guides in 1932 engine

Guffin

My 1932 344 ci engine is noisy. It is not bearing noise and valves are adjusted correctly. It seems to be the valve lifters. I am planing to take out the lifter guide units and have some question to somebody who has done it.

1: Can the lifter guide units be removed from the side of the engine without removing the oil pan?

2: How to take out the push rods? I tried to pull them up but couldn't. How are they fastened to the lifters?

3: Are there any special things to consider when installing new rollers? The manual says that you have to use special tools!

I am thankful for any advice I could get.

Jan

Jan,

I dont know how similar your engine is to my 47 but I was able to get then lifters out through the side of my engine. I pulled the cover off and then ised a magnet to list them out. The magent I found was from Sears and it was rated for 16 pounds.

I hope this helps.

You will need to remove the side cover and the rocker cover. Once the side cover is off ,you will see that there is a plate that holds another set of springs.The lifters are a roller lifter,and they are contained in a casting that bolt to the block. When you pull the cover off, you will see that it is almost self explanatory.

You do not need to pull the pan, and you will find the clips holding the push rods

Thank you Bill. So you can take out the lifters without removing the whole unite! Interesting. I hope my lifters are OK but the rollers are worn I think

Thank you Joe. You seem to know everything worth knowing about old Buicks. You have helped me many times before.

Two years ago I looked inside the side covers but didn't' do anything then because I had no pars. Now I have rollers and pins and hopefully I can use the old lifters. Or, do you think it is better to try to find new lifters before starting the job. Are they often worn out? I don't want the car to be stranded in the garage for a long time.

Jan

9904Buick_Hogberga_2-med.jpg

The lifters do not wear as they only go up and down in the hole. The roller contacts the cam, and as long as they roll, the only wear is on the pin, and in the hole in the roller that the pin runs in. Some years ago ,I made a set of oversize pins, and fit them to old rollers. I then honed the hole in the lifter to a press fit over size, and put them back in the engine.

The noise wnt away,and the engine still is running fine.

I thought so. So the pins are press fit in the lifters so that hole is not worn!? I understand that the warning in the shop manual for using a special tool refers to the tool for pressing the pins in without deforming them!?

I have been working with old cars as a hobby since 1954 but I am new to Buick

Jan