1917 Buick Information

scarface

My father (he's 78 years old)recently purchased a 1917 Buick. I need lots of information (books shop Manuals, etc.) so I can help him maintain it, get it running better, etc. My most immediate need is carburetor rebuild Kits and information, and now the ignition advance and throttle linkages should be set and now the "relate" to each other. The carb dumps fuel out the intake (it has an electric fuel pump set at one and one half PSI). We can get it running-but I not very well- (I assume too rich). I've worked on formula Fords, Atlantic cars, etc-but this is a whole new ballgame!

I believe you can buy a shop manuel from bobsautomobilia.com. He has an on line catalogue. This is not like a shop manuel for a newer car but it does get you to the right place.

It sounds like the carburetor float needel is not seating. Try polishing it or laping it in with tooth past or fine metal polish. Also, recoat the float with modern fuel proofer. The new gas may have eaten the varnish off the old float. The fuel system was gravity feed from the vacuum tank. Try reducing the fuel pump pressure.

Thanks a lot for for helping. I've sent emails to DGTryon and Bob's (his catalogues start at1919, but I'm hoping he may cover earlier vsrsions). I'm also working with John Hardgrove at The Carburetor Shop on getting some rebuild parts.