Improving Fog Light Output

Richard S

It seems to me the output of my fog lights, or perhaps all Reatta fog lights, is kind of puny. Has anyone done anything to improve it. The fog lights on my 90 use a rather odd, though available bulb, that does not seem particularly powerful.

You will notice that the listed bulb for the fog or driving light has the tip covered with black (paint?) This affects the light output.<BR>If you substitute the bulb for the same wattage bulb without the tip coverage, it will become more of a driving light.<P>Think for a minute that with the tip covered, no light goes straight out from the bulb, it is all reflected to the side then out. Technically the output is the same either way but you change the pattern when you use a different bulb. <P>You COULD put a bulb with higher wattage in there but the housing is plastic and we don't know when it will melt. Probably not a problem in the winter but going from a 55w bulb to 75 or 100, the heat increases considerably<P>I don't believe GM ever intended them to be serious lights. Canada had enacted a daytime running light law, and from what we can determine, Canadian cars are wired so the lights are on all the time.<p>[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: Barney Eaton ]

If you change the beam so that it doesn't project under fog, the glare makes them ineffective. Too much brightness may have the same effect. An aftermarket driving light may be a better choice if you don't drive in pea soup. Should be able to find some to fit the openings.

If memory serves, the stock bulbs are only 27.5 watts, plus the plastic lense tends to get fogged over, a tendency the tailight has, but you don't see it on the fog lights. You might try the 55 watt replacement bulbs but there is a danger of melting the plastic. Replacement lights would be the best bet if you need a serious fog light.