tie rod replacement needed?

voucher2001

I just recently purchased a one-owner,1990 coupe. To pass MD state inspection, I needed to replace both front tires. Each had significant wear on the outside. I assumed an alignment problem. At the tire dealer, NTB, the mechanic put the car on the machine and said that he could not align the front end until the left tie rod was replaced. He grabbed the tire and was able to shake it side to side. I read a previous post that said that everyone wants to replace tie rods on Reattas. Was my mechanic right? The car does not shake at speed..50 to 60 mph. Please help me.

I don't know if everyone wants to replace their ball joints, I just replaced the drivers side on my 88 reatta ( did it my self, cost $45.00 ) when they go bad they need to be replaced not only do they make your tires to wear out quicker, they are dangerous if the come apart. Is not worth taking the chance. Hope this helps grm. mad.gif" border="0

You did not mention the mileage of your Reatta. Tie rod ends are on the end of the steering rack and (if lubricated) last a long time.<P>The response deals with ball joints, there is one on each side of the front suspension and this allows the front wheel to move up and down and turn at the same time. Ball joints commonly wear more than tie rod ends.<P>You never know if a mechanic is honest or not. Especially if you have not been using the same one. You could probably jack up the front of any Reatta and move the front wheels some..... however I am not saying you don't need tie rod ends, just that, depending on how much they want to do the job, you might want to shop around. These people are smart (like foxes) they know you are busy and you want to be safe. <P>Tell them to replace them and that you want the old parts to send to the technical advisor of the club for evaluation.

Hey Voucher -<P>I've had a couple of experiences with Reatta alignments and NTB. On 2 different 1990 Reattas, NTB has told me I need to replace a tie rod end (I believe it was the inner one on the right - been a few years).<P>Their reason: there was too much play & therefore they couldn't align the car within specs. I took both cars to a Buick dealer for a 4 wheel alignment and tie-rod end replacement. They did the alignment without a problem and asked why I wanted the part replaced - told me there's suppose to be some play in those parts and that it was still well within specs.<P>Anyhow - my suggestion (for what it's worth): go to a Buick dealer for the alignment & inspection. Less hassle that way.<P>~Brenda