BUICKMAN AWARD

Guest imported_MrEarl

Well it's quite an honor and very humbling to be nominated for the Buickman award. I got interested in Buick's because my Grandfather always owned a Buick and wouldn't buy any other car. As an engineer, I've always been interested in what numbers can tell me, so that got me into Buick decoding. It's a bit like solving a mystery. There aren't many reference books on Buick decoding and most books contain errors and sometimes what Buick said they did isn't what they actually did. So to understand Buick decoding better, I've found the best thing to do is to collect data from various sources and then compare that to actual car data. Over the years I've collected a large amount of information related to Buick decoding (chassis manuals for most years, Buick parts books, paint chips, wholesale car order forms, and many industry reference books like Ward's Automotive Yearbook, Branham Automobile Reference Book and Sanford Evans data books) and most of it I converted to electronic form and put into an Excel tool that I use to help me with the decoding and to compare it to data from actual cars. My Excel tool contains about 40 custom functions for decoding 1932-1980 U.S. and Canadian built Buicks. It will automatically decode U.S. and Canadian Buick car and engine serial numbers, trim tags (trim codes, paint codes, top codes, option codes, date codes, etc.), Protect-O-Plates, engine production codes, and more for 1932-1980. Currently I have info on about 8,700 Buick cars and about 3,500 pictures related those cars (trim tags, VIN tags and stickers, P-o-Ps, build sheets, IBM punch cards, window stickers, miscellaneous paper work, etc.). In my tool I've also compiled lists of trim codes, paint codes (U.S. and Canadian), top codes, option codes, transmission codes, rear axle codes, wheelbase, model production numbers, and plant productions numbers (starting and ending sequential numbers) for those years as well. There are about 19,000 lines of code to make everything work. The nice thing about writing code is that it spots the anomalies in both the reference sources and data from actual cars very quickly and that helps me focus on what areas I need to find more information on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadetree77

Wanted to throw in another name for consideration. Mr. Joe Taubitz AKA "The Old Guy". For those of you that know Joe, you know that he's a dyed in the wool Buick Man in every sense! His list of experiences, achievements, and doings are the stuff of legend within the BCA. For those of you who don't know this man, here's a link to a thread containing but a small measure: http://forums.aaca.org/f115/who-joe-386064.html.

Wow! Some great names thrown out there this year. Gonna' have our work out cut out for us picking a winner.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by
38Buick 80C
viewpost-right.png

Mr Earl,

I'd like to nominate Mark Shaw for the Buickman award for refusing to allow the Forum breakfast to be cancelled in Portland and for service to all Pre-War Buick owners with technical assistance, parts and vehicle (Thriller) locating, and general service to the forum community.

Originally Posted by
Thriller

I can go along with the nomination, but he can also be an expensive guy to know. He has helped me locate and procure two pre-war Buicks that I didn't know that I needed to buy. He still had some parts that didn't get to South Bend last year so I got to tour his garage and shop during the meet which was really cool.

I hadn't seen my nomination until today, so Thanks guys.... But, I think other nominees are much more deserving. I have not been a member of the BCA for nearly as long or as actively as Joe and I have not accumulated and disseminated nearly as much info. as Sean.

This is a great family oriented hobby with many different forms of enjoyment. I like show cars, hot rods, resto-rods, and un-restored original cars too. I just focus on prewar Buicks & to help and encourage others to get older Buicks back on the road again by restoring and driving their older Buicks to enjoy them. My posts on this forum as well as the past PreWar Division Newsletters are meant to bring those with common interests together, share parts and technical resources, and provide more touring opportunities to enjoy these older cars. (It has also been fun to help Thriller spend some of his money too!)

I have made many friends in this hobby that are scattered all over this, and other countries. That's more than enough for me. Thanks again...

• 4 months later...

BUICKMAN.jpg

OK Gang, it's that time again, time to shout out LAST CALL, YOU ALL. With the Buick Nationals fast approaching, we need to hear your nominations for this years Buickman Award. This award honors those who go above and beyond by unselfishly providing benefit to the BCA wholly or to other members by providing material, technical or moral support. The award will be presented at the Forum Burunch on Friday.

In looking over this last years posts, it appears we have four nominations so far. And they are.....

Mark Shaw

Larry Schramm

Sean Smith aka Sean 1997

Joe Taubitz aka The Old Guy

If you would like to nominate someone new, renominate someone already nominated in years past or make further comment on those already nominated, please try and do so by Monday May 25. I will be asking previous years nominations and recipients of the award to assist in selecting this years winner.

The following ladies and gentlemen have previously received this award or been first runner ups and received Buickman Plaques and/or T-Shirts, Beer Steins or Coffee Cups: and Capes

Bill Stoneburg
Rick Young
Willie Pittman
Bob Coker
Charles Barnett - Posthumously
John Scheib
Roberta Vasilow
Brian DePouli
Pete Philips

Dave Corbin - Posthumously

John Defiore

Robert Trail Jr./Jessica Trail/Robert Trail Sr.

Mike Middleton

Lamar Brown

And remember folks, just to be nominated is to win :)

• 3 weeks later...

The prestigious BUICKMAN Awards for 2015 were presented at the BCA Forum Brunch on Friday, June 12th, 2015 at Springfield MO. The festivities were held at the local Hooters and a room full of forum members were present to witness the presentation of the awards by JohnD.

So with no further ado.....

Voting by former Buickman award recipients turned out almost equal votes for runner ups this year therefore the runner ups were Larry Schramm, Mark Shaw and Joe Taubitz. They were presented or if absent will receive a BCA/Buickman coffee mug.

The BUICKMAN AWARD for 2015 was presented to Sean Smith in absentia.

Congratulations Gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

(and just detected an error in the certificate...now I am sure EVERYONE will read it to find that... )

post-77380-0-53261200-1434206985_thumb.j

post-77380-0-47007700-1434206992_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thank you for honoring me with the Buickman award for 2015.  I wish I could have been there to receive it in person, but I recently started a new job and am still in training and couldn't get the time off.  I've still been working on my Buick decoding info, specifically my 1938-1980 option code list and my GM of Canada/McLaughlin-Buick paint code list.  I hope to make some posts on those by the end of this year.

• Like 3

I have 2 nominations for next year (if I may be so bold)

1st - Our new President Brian Clark and his First Lady Kim

2nd - Chuck and Kathy Kerls

Chuck was thrown in the deep end of running the National Meet this past year (not exactly by choice) and Brian stepped up to help to help him as asst. meet chair. Chuck along with his lovely wife Kathy spent a lot of time working to ensure the meet was successful and was significant in working with Joe Bortz to have the 53 Wildcat 1 at the event. Brian and Kim meanwhile put in a ton of time at the meet working registration, helping setup various items and generally whatever else needed to be done they were first in line to help. Both Brian and Chuck have served multiple years on the BCA BOD along with officer positions on BCA Divisions (Reatta and 59 respectively).

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Well shucks. B)

I'll second Chuck and Kathy for not only stepping up, but taking the heat when things didn't go as smoothly as we hoped. A true leader.

One good nomination deserves another.

I missed the deadline by 1 day for this year's award, but would like to get ahead of the game for next year.

I nominate Ronnie for all the work he has done with the Reatta Store and the ROJ.

He makes my life much easier when I'm working on the '90 coupe for my son.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To Whom it may concern

I can't get on the forum since it was changed, so I wish to thank all that had a say in my getting a Mug !!!!

I am not very active anymore, but I appreciate the fact that I am at least remembered, and will treasure  it >

Joe Taubitz   ex BCA 1308

ex BDE 001

Founder member of the " Buicktown Chapter" and first Director

PS The forum wont recognize me ,and won't even let me in under a new name

• Like 1

Thanks to Lamar .,I am able to get on the forum again !!!! 

Thank You for the help

Also Thank everyone that allowed me to get my " Buickman" mug !!!

I will treasure it 

Joe Taubitz

and we Treasure you Joe. Glad you're back with us.

That's why Lamar has the SUPER BUICKMAN CAPE!!!!!

Welcome back Joe!!!

and wears it proudly!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

And I personally want to nominate Larry Schramm for the 'Epitome of a Buick Man' award.  Why you ask?  Well, he has hauled all four fenders off our 1916 D-45 to Port Huron, Michigan to have them straightened out before going under paint.  These fenders have been down to Mexico to be straightened up (but the guys down there did not want to do them the way I wanted them done - and that's another story all by itself) so Larry picked them up at Chickasha and took them back home with him to have them straightened up for us.  For those who might not know this, Larry has the market cornered on Buick trucks.  He has the largest collection of Buick trucks in the whole wide world.  He should have the Buick Man award just for this fact alone, but, no, he is helping another long time Buick enthusiast get his Buick back on the road.  Larry Schramm is the banner carrier for Buick Trucks.  Having Fun - Making Friends - Driving Buicks.  Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls and you will see Larry's picture.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas America  aka  Doo Dah America

• Like 8

On 3/25/2017 at 11:55 PM, Mark I said:

I'd like to nominate Loren Alexander. Loren has helped many 65 Skylark and 65 GS owners with parts, advice, knowledge,

and assistance of all kinds. Has mentored a number of guys through the restoration process on these cars, was instrumental

in helping create the 65 GS Division of BCA and is current operator of the website 65GS.com

And a great guy to boot. Loren is a true "Buickman".

Mark

I third the nomination of Loren "65GS" Alexander for 2017 Buickman.

Guest Johnsgs

I would like to 4th the nomination to Loren Alexander , Loren,s one of those guys that goes the extra mile for people .  He is definitely worthy of the Buickman award .

Guest Nut465GS

I would also like to throw my support behind the nomination of Loren Alexander for the Buickman Award. Loren has been a mentor to many of us 1965 Skylark Gran Sport owners for decades.  Now, with the advent of the internet, he has been able to share his knowledge and experience with many more enthusiasts nationwide through 65GS.com. Loren selflessly owns and maintains that website. Under his leadership, a team of advisors has been assembled to assist him with the website. His website is dedicated not only to '65 GS owners but includes 1964 - 1966 Specials, Skylarks and Wagons. His passion for the restoration and preservation of these Buicks has been an inspiration and deserves recognition.

John Egel

BCA # 26612

Guest J.RobK

I would like To throw in my support for Loren Alexander as well.   He has been a source of endless information and help with my restoration.   A real asset to our hobby.   Rob