Guest imported_MrEarl

BUICKMAN AWARD

I'd like to recognize all the folks of the Texas South Central Region and Alamo Chapter for their hospitality and fine welcome to myself and wife Rita when we attended their Meet back in October. But especially I'd like to nominate one couple that really helped ease our minds when I learned that my trucks radiator was leaking. Willie and Mary Ann Pittman invited (insisted actually) us to stop at there place on our way home so we could assess the situation and if necessary order a radiator and extended an invitation to stay over if needed while the truck was in the shop. We stopped by but determined that the water in the radiator had found it's level (as Willis B suggested it might) and that we could probably make it home to Georgia alright. But not only were we offered a nights stay, we were also treated to some great Texas barbecue. While there, Rita and Mary Ann took off looking at landscaping and house stuff while Willie and I took a ride in Buford and Willie turned me on to some 55 parts for my new hot rod project. SO with no further ado, I hereby nominate Willie and Mary Ann Pittman for the BUICK COUPLE AWARD.

BUICKMAN.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I'll second that. I've known Willie and Mary Ann for as long as I can remember and they are always willing to help a member of their Buick family.

A further second from their Regional Director. We have a lot of really nice folks in the region and in our chapters, but the Pitmans are loved by all of us BCA'ers out here.

Dave Corbin

I can't say enough kind things about Mary Ann.

;)

Anything to do with her feeding you pie? :rolleyes::D

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I can't say I recall meeting Mary Ann, but I have met Willie and count him among the "good folk" category.

From post #39 in this thread

It should go without saying to anybody who has been on this forum for more than a few days, that I must wholeheartedly agree with this nomination. Willie was the main reason my 55 received a Senior award my first time showing at a National.... AFTER DRIVING IT 1800 MILES!

Thanks Willie.

Pic of Willie during my restoration.

P5130013.jpg

C'mon now,

Y'all know what Willie means to me. I talk to him at least once a day, either to ask him a stupid question or advice. He rarely leads me astray, although I always seem to do more, go farther, and consequently spend more after talking to him. He has me convinced now that I can paint my car!

The best thing he ever told me that really stuck is:

"If it is being done in my shop, it needs to meet my standards!"

Edited by buick5563
Added header (see edit history)

Come on folks, do I have to do all the nominatin as well as the presentatin and everythin here. I'm sure there are more Buick Man candidates out there. Get your nominations in. The cut off for this years nominations for the award to be presented at the Forum Breakfast in Danvers in July is May 15th. So let's hear'em. :)

and...the title BUICK MAN can be altered to reflect WOMAN, COUPLE or whatever may be required.

and... the nominations will be secretly voted on through the forum this year

and...you will not have to be present at the Awards Breakfast to receive the award, but man, I would highly recommend it. You should hear the comments made about the winners when they are present, i can only imagine what might be said if you weren't.

and... to be nominated is honorable, the win is nobly sublime

and...yes, I'm makin the rules up as we go. I'm MrEarl, it's my football, I can do that.:Pbuba.gif

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

OK, since nobody has a nomination, I'll nominate myself and run un-opposed. WOOHOO! I win!! I'm honored. I'd like to thank all the little people along the way...you all know who you are....where's my cash prize? :eek::P:p:p

No cash Dan, but looks like you're in the runnin for a BUICKMAN T-Shirt come July.

I'm too lazy to go back and check previous nominees / recipients, so apologies for any repeat offenders...

El Presidente Rick Young...down to earth Buick guy, a driving force behind 2010 National Meet in Ames

Treasurer (?) Bill Stoneberg...other driving force behind 2010 National and a big Buick booster

Mr. Pre War Buick Mark Shaw...I don't think we have another as-vocal advocate of the early Buicks and driving them

Mr. Buick Numbers David Corbin...spent a lot of time, energy, and money researching Buick numbers and makes himself readily available to answer questions

Distractions have occurred, so my train of thought has derailed...Teresa is taking part in a "heritage fair" at school, so is asking for information we have about Sam McLaughlin and his wonderful Canadian automobiles....

I would second all of Derek's nominations, especially the David Corbin one. I might add Pete Phillips, for his tireless dedication to reaching all BCA members each month with excellent Bugle editions.

I agree with both Derek and JD, I believe it is allowed that more than one presentation can be made at a national gathering of the brotherhood/sisterhood of Buicks.

Damn, I have to try to make it this year.

I'd like to re-nominate Willie for the Buick man award for his excellent post on the A/C compressor seal repair and his other posts over the last few years. Willie is the king of these Forums because he is a Do-er...and a person who speaks from experience.

Thanks Willie for all the help you give to everyone here. You're the best!

I'm humbled to be mentioned as a nominee for a Buickman award and am grateful for Thriller and JohnD's kind words.

I would have to mention Terry Dunham, Bev Kimes and Bill Close (both now sadly gone) and others who cheered me on when I was ready to quit on the project of compiling the frame and engine numbers.

A special thanks to the folks who let me climb over, under, and thru their Buicks, especially the really early ones, where the Buick records were very poor. I would tell them "I'm letting the cars explain to me how Buick did things." That got me some odd looks but very good info on a subject that frustrated Prof. Therou and Dave Chambers years ago.

Again, thanks for the kind words in the nominations.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave, it's my honor to add you in the nomination process.

Thanks Derek, but I agree that Dave Corbin deserves this honor for his years of tireless persuit of data to unravel the mysteries of the Buick numbering system.

Dave Corbin has been the go-to guy for many of us who need to know more about their Buicks.

Guest BJM

I wonder if Roberta Vasilow has been nominated.

She was instrumental in my BCA loyalty back when she was President. I remember getting emails from here and thought that was awesome, a BCA President corresponding with me.

She does a lot of behind the scenes stuff, has always been supportive of the Buick hobby, has some inside information on modern GM, has good relations with Dunham and Gustin, puts up with The Old Guy, and many other reasons to receive a Buickman Award (if she has not already received it).

I think Buickman Awards, at least in my mind, should go to those who approach me or are approachable at BCA Nationals and Regionals. Pat Brooks and his wife were very kind to my wife and I at a BCA Regional in Dubuque, Iowa a few years back by taking photos with us in front of their around the world 49 Super Woody.

Pat wouldn't know what I look like today but I remember him.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I second the nomination for Roberta. I first met her while she was President, too. BJM is correct, she does a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes and was key to hosting two of the most successful Buick Nationals ever held, the ones in Flint for 2003 and 2008.

Yes, Roberta definitely deserves this award... An awesome Buick, and Buick Club, person.

It is really nice to look over this thread and realize what a wealth of teriffic Buick people we have in this club.

The Secret Ballots are in.:eek: WHAT secret ballot's you ask?.......

pretty good secret eh? :D

No more nominations will be accepted for the 2011 BuickMan Award. :)

The weiner(s) will receive their awards at the BCAFer's Breakfast in Danvers.