"I Got a Member" question

Jan ~ I would think that they should not be included, but I really do not know. I will probably have the "Youth Police" at my door for that opinion.<P>The retention of youth members has, I believe, been less than hoped for. It would be interesting to know how many become full members when they reach adulthood. The program is probably too new to be able to determine that.<P>President Doug, this is right up your alley. You started "I Got a Member" and have been deeply involved in the "Youth" program. What is the corrrect answer?<P>hvs

I agree that one wouldn't receive credit, unless AACA rewrites the rules on the membership drive to include Junior members. They are handled as a semi-autonomous group within AACA. AACA clubs allow junior members to attend as non-voters at club meetings, and encourage them to be at all club events, but they don't count towards AACA full membership...but what a great source of potential new members!<P>------------------<BR>

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Is there a special form to report who "got a member", or does this information come from the membership application? <P>I am a newly elected secretary with more questions than answers.

Guest BruceW

Hal,<BR>From what I understand.. the name and member number of the sponsor on the membership application is used to credit the members for new members they have gotten. Thats why it is important to fill this information out on the application.

THE I. C. KIRKHAM MEMBERSHIP AWARD<P>"Awarded at the Annual Meeting to the REGION or CHAPTER with the greatest membership gain according to a weighted formula that considers the number of new national members acquired and the percentage of increase in membership."<P>This is NOT awarded to an individual but as stated, to the Region or Chapter.<P>hvs

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Our region received this award some years ago, but it went to the membership chair. I assumed that was how it was done. (I wasn't trying to open a can of worms...)<P>Jan K.

Jan ~ According to the National Award winners book, which I hold in my hot little hand, the I.C. Kirkham award has NEVER been awarded to an INDIVIUDUAL. It was first awarded in 1985 and was given to a Region every year until 1998 and 1999 when it went to a Chapter. I do not have the name of the winner for 2000.<P>I assume that you are a member of the Wisconsin Region. The Wisconsin Region received the award in 1994 & 1995.<P>If the Region chooses to give it to the Membership Chairman after it receives the award, that is the Region's business.<P>hvs

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Thanks BruceW and others. I was hoping that that info was on the application. I have sent applications to a couple of prospective members. There is a little confusion between some of our members about who asked them to join first. Seeing as how I don't care to get in the middle of it, I will let the new members decide who got them to join.

For further clarification, the total number of members added to your region or chapter each year, together with a number of other weighted factors which I know virtually nothing about, is used to calculate the winner of the I.C. Kirkham award. This award is given to the membership chair (or other appropriate person) for the region or chapter that has the greatest percentage of growth. <P>A few years ago, this award caused us some confusion. In the hopes of being in the running for the award, our membership chair thought that he needed to take the credit for all the new members, and would put his own national number on the application forms. Once we clarified National's intent, he stopped the practice. From then on, credit was given to those who had actually introduced the new members to the club. <P>Jan K.

I love this DF. I learn something new every day. <P>And I apologize to everyone for the misinformation I inadvertently provided in a previous post. You'll notice I didn't edit that message to hide that fact. When I'm wrong, I admit it! smile.gif<P>Jan K.