195? Plymouth Fury GO-Cart

Tom M

A friend of mine picked this car up from a person he works with.

Has anyone ever seen a Go-Cart like this?

Any info would be much appreciated.

post-31137-143137897478_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking

Tom, nice example of a 1959 Plymouth. I never seen that year, but I have seen a '57 Fury a few years ago.............

It is a 1959 Fury replica. I believe these bodies were often sold independently, made for attachment to home-built a chassis. I don't know if there was a single major manufacturer or several, but they seem to all be of 1958-1960 cars. I've seen 1960 Buick, this Plymouth, and (a long time ago if a I recall correctly) a 1958 Ford. This old Corvette body is being offered on a web site right now for $950.

60-3.jpg

I have see a few of those, the oldest of which was a 1955 Pontiac. Plastic body (fiberglass?) and a 12V starter motor driving the rear wheels. These must have been a little cottage industry thing, had to be expensive when new. The Detroit Zoo used to use a Pontiac in the monkey (chimp) show they used to put on daily, before the animal rights types kiboshed it. Now there is a "natural enviroment" sort of thing, you rarely see a chimp, and when you do they are giving the kiddies a lesson in the birds and bees <span style="font-style: italic">"mommy, what are they doing?"</span>

• 1 month later...
Guest aheadforkeeps

Hi,

This a 59 Fury Junior that was made by the Powercar Company in Mystic, Conn.. These were sold through the Plymouth dealers. There were versions of the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Plymouths made. I have a 1958 Fury Junior myself to go with my full size 1958 Fury.

Check out the website below for more details.

http://www.jrcentral.com/

Michael

Michael,

I tried google search and came up with nothing so thank you very much for that link. I will pass it on to my friend. It will help him out on restoring the one he has.