Selling your Reatta?

Something that seems to boggle my mind is why anyone would want to sell their Reatta. I for one love mine. It handles great, looks good, has a computer, and no one else on the road has one except for maybe 1 other lucky person in my city. I can understand why someone would want to sell their Reatta because they needed money or a larger car. <P>The Reatta in my opinion is something very special (I know mine is). In about 10 years Im betting this car will be worth a great deal and harder to find. <P>If I ever had to sell my Reatta I sure would miss those summer days when I just cleaned the outside and the inside really good. Then take it for a spin with the windows down and listen to music on my CD player. <P>Baruk<BR>Proud owner of a 89 Reatta

I feel the same way about My Reatta but I must admit it takes a bit more than normal maintenace to keep it at a level I want. If one had to pay to have Their cars repaired then I assume the cost is quite high. I saw one post tonight that a Person had gotten a 3000.00 price to repair Her brakes. That, to Me ,is outrageous. I only paid 3000 for My 89. I still think the Reatta is a sharp car and I too Love mine.

Hmmm ... why would we want to sell our Reattas? Let me (start to) count the reasons ...<P>cost of parts<BR>availability of parts<BR>service/support<BR>frequency of parts failures on older cars<BR>value of car<P>Bottom line, as these cars get older, it costs more to maintain them than they're really worth. Sure, the value MIGHT go up in a few years .. but in the mean time ...<P>I've owned mine for 4 years. Owned one prior to that & there are lots of things I like. However, 2 months don't go by that I don't have to fix SOMETHING. Believe it or not, my '62 Corvair is more reliable (and costs a hell of a lot less to fix). Been trying to save up enough to paint it for 2 years now - but the Reatta keeps breaking & the cash goes there. Hell, with what I've spent on repairs in the past 4 years, I could've bought something brand new.<P>~Brenda<p>[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Reatta2go ]

Hi,<BR> we have a 1988 Reatta coupe, and a 1990 Convertible with just 25K miles and in mint condition, I still have a difficulty driving the Convertible, as I am too conscious that someone might cut the roof and damage the car. For this reason, I may be listing the car on the ebay within the next few days.<BR>Though a part of me is reluctant, as I sure know that I will not find one in a better shape.<BR>The Reatta's are great cars, I have had a total of eight one by one, and they drive great, handle well and are well worth the money.<BR>I love all my 3 Buicks, I also have a 1991 Buick Riviera, it is also great, and since it is my daily driver, I am used to it being parked anywhere without worrying about it.<P>Cheers!<P>Prakash Raja<P> citroens@hotmail.com

I'm with Brenda. But I won't part with my Select 60. My Mom had a 62 Corvair. I used to steal it to visit my girl fried (now wife of 30+ years). WOW, if that old Covair could talk!! It was a real fun car in every sense of the word cool.gif" border="0

Well I know where your coming from on cost of parts. A Girl ran into the back of my Reatta. It wasn't my fought (although she did try to blame it on me....) and the damage didn't look that bad. Well as it turns out its going to cost me 3,000 dollars to just fix a few parts and paint it and that still won't fully fix the car! I am still in need of a rear bumper gaurd. The thing that is about 5 inchs tall and 2 inchs wide and sits on the bumper. So if anyone knows where I might be able to get me one considering the dealership can't find one it would be very helpful! smile.gif" border="0

I could understand selling a Reatta that has some wear on it. It gets to a point where repairs way exceeds the value of the car. For an example let me explain my car.<P>1990 Hard top with 142K miles<BR>Got it last October for around $3300<BR>Needed tires and A/C work but had no other problems.<P>Sence then I have spent almost $1000 in parts mostly required to keep it going safely.<P>On the list of things needed now or very soon:<BR>440 Trans<BR>Front wheel bearings<BR>Rear brakes including caliper<BR>Compleate tune-up<BR>Hood and trunk suports<BR>Muffler<BR>Oil leval and pressure sensers<BR>A/C work<BR>Horn Button<P>That could add up to at least $2000 in parts.<BR>I would have a total of $6300 into it after the needed repairs.<P>Then on the cosmetic side it really needs:<BR>Paint work from chips, scraches, and minor rust<BR>Center Cap<BR>Headliner<P>Add another $2000 or so. We're at $8300 with doing alot of work myself. That does not inclued the detail items that make the car clean like replacing all center caps, rewraping steering wheel, refinishing the rims, replacing cracked mirror, and replacing scrached windshield. In the end I could have $10,000 in a car that could sell for around $5000. <P>I'm not complianing about quality. It's par for the coarse for a older high milage car. It is a fun car and for the money spent I had limited options. But when you can afford something nicer it is not worth restoring a old Reatta at this time. For that reason I am tring to limet the amount of money spent on this car because I have a fealing I'm going to take a loss when it comes time for something nicer. <P>Because the cars are not as well known, fast, or remembered they are not as desired. So a limited number of people are willing to pay big money for one. I think Buick had the same problem when they were new. <P>Compare the price of a Reatta and a Corvette now. I guess they were pretty close in price new. I have not looked but my guess is you wouldn't be able to get a 1990 Vette for a few grand (not including ones wraped around a pole).<P>Tom

Thanks RawjaNYC! Ill have to bid on that later this week. I'm just curious how much is it worth? <P>Baruk