No pump comes on?

I tried the brake test and I nor my husband hear anything cut on while pumping the brakes. We pumped 13 times with no change or lights coming on just harder to push down by the 13th time. The abs brake system has been out for about 3 years. The abs light only comes on for a split second when I brake hard. The pedal is a hard and spongy stop never getting near the floorboard.. Like I am pushing air out before it actually stops. Like I said it has been this way for years. I have no idea if this is just how it feels without abs or if there is a problem.

Guest wally888

The updated version of the Brake testS are on this Forum under, "Take The Brake Tests"<BR> The Pump is on the firewall. Open the hood, face the windshield, identify the Brake Reservoir, the Accumulator ir right of the Reservoir(round/black sphere), the pump is below and to the right. On 89 Models a metal line runs from the Accumulator to the Pump.<BR> Try the Tests in sequence again. You can place your hand on the Pump, while running, to feel vibrations.( or sling your dog around on his leash, to take a look around)<p>[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: wally888 ]

If you have a 1991, you will not have a pump. It seem unlikely that you would not hear the pump and still have brakes after the 15 pumps.<BR>I'm guessing you have a 1991 or some other car than a Reatta.

Sorry it's an 88 reatta<BR>I have the service manual and have taken the brake test over and over. I was told by a Buick mechanic it isn't required to have abs brakes and that some actually prefer no abs. So like I said I don't know what is "normal" for how the braking should feel without abs.

Guest wally888

The feel of the Brakes w/o ABS is exactly the same as w/ ABS under Normal Braking circumstances!<BR> The test results, excluding the Yellow light being on all the time, should be the same.<BR> Post your test results.<BR> Read codes from ALDL<BR> Switch the relays.