Motor Mounts

The Buick dealership where I take my 89 Reatta says all of the motor mounts are really worn and need to be replaced. All well and fine except they want to charge $800 for this repair. Does this price seem reasonable? I'm not really sure what motor mounts are. Why would it cost so much? Should I try going to an independent mechanic? What will happen if I don't replace them?<BR>I am not mechanically inclined so I will not be able to do the repair myself.<P>Thanks for any advice.

Don't know about the rest of you out here in Reatta land, but $800 sounds pretty outregeous to me (esp since I actually know what the parts cost).<P>I'd suggest finding a different shop for that.<P>~Brenda

Parts and labor are getting out of sight.<P>You didn't mention how many miles your '89 has seen. Often you can look at the engine and have someone push the accelerator...look at the engine to see if it moves..more than an inch is a problem. <P>Just checked <A HREF="http://www.gmpartsdirect" TARGET=_blank>www.gmpartsdirect</A> and their prices were (these may not be the correct part numbers)<BR>Front mt (17998659) $95.40<BR>Rear mt (1646517) $117.97<BR>Trans mt (17996396) $90.22<BR>"dog bone" at top front (22113025) $29.55<BR>That is around $333 for parts....of course the dealer would bill you retail.<P>An independent mechanic could probably purchase most of the parts from NAPA or other outlets and cut the parts cost, and his labor would be less.<P>I would let another shop verify that you really need the mounts.

Some of these mounts may require pulling down the engine cradle, suporting the engine, unbolting the steering rack, removing the starter, etc.. The 2 trans mounts pay 2.5 hours. The one engine mount pays 3.3 hours. The axle shift mount pays 1.1 hours. I got 4 mounts total. I think I got them all. The total time would be 6.9 hours. At a shop rate of $70 per hour the labor would be $483. The mounts you migh be able to buy yourself for $25-50. A shop has to mark them up so they may charge $50-100. At $75 a mount your almost up to $800 total. It really is more work than it sounds. <P>You should be able to call around to get quotes. You may find a place that will do it for a rock bottom price of $550. <P>The bigest complaint with bad mounts is clunking whin shifting, accelerating, and decelerating. Although rare it could be possable to damage wires, hoses, or what ever they are attached too. I seen some RWD cars where the engine dented the hood but I have not seen it on a FWD.<P>Tom

FYI - at least 3 of those mounts are available aftermarket. I got the front mount, dog bone & trans mount, grand total under $150. Haven't done the trans mount yet, but the other two took under an hour to do both.