1917-24 Houk 23" wire wheels F/S

Layden B

• 2 months later...

Laydon:

Do you know if these are the same wheels used on a 1923 HCS? I need 2 for my HCS.

23 inch diameter

5 inch total width from edge to edge, but the bead to bead where the tire sits is about 3.5 inches, Rear lip 1 inch high around the inner edge of the rim which matches the retaining ring mounted on the outer side of the wheel.

On outer side of wheel, if laid flat on the floor, the hub height (back side to front side) is about 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 inches, and the hub sticks up a few inches from the top edge of the rim

24 spokes on the outer side, and 48 on the inner side.

Thanks,

Don

Don,

I believe your wheels are type H 4 1/2, a rare type of Buffalo wire wheel, and possibly only HCS. Catalog shows 3 rim sizes 23", 21" and 20" , all in 72 spoke. Probably used on different body types. This image is from the Buffalo catalog and shows the difference in center design of the H and the Houk.

hcs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Don Bosco

Thanks Laydon, I will have to examine the hub more closely and compare with your catalog, thanks very much for the info so I can better describe what I am looking for!

Don

• 7 months later...
Guest Don Bosco

Layden:

I goofed and lost the catalog pics you sent me on the wire wheels, may I impose upon you and ask you to send them again to me? My email is don@tallcoil.com Still searching out those wheels for my HCS.

Thanks again,

Don Bosco