'39 tranny interchange?

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the transmission from a '39 Series 40. Can anyone tell me if this will fit later models? </div></div> It is all by itself. 'If it gets lonesome,I could ship you another one !

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the transmission from a '39 Series 40. Can anyone tell me if this will fit later models? </div></div> It is all by itself. 'If it gets lonesome,I could ship you another one ! </div></div>

One year only? Is that by part number or an interchange manual?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the transmission from a '39 Series 40. Can anyone tell me if this will fit later models? </div></div> It is all by itself. 'If it gets lonesome,I could ship you another one ! </div></div>One year only? Is that by part number or an interchange manual? </div></div> Have been riding in Buicks since 1925,working on them since 1940. Check your parts book and you will find few parts that will be used on ANY other transmission> If you have any doubt,ask the "Old Guy'(he is young compared to me,and a lot smarter)

Guest Faust

I guess I am having a hard time believing Buick designed a one year transmission. The trouble with part numbers is that the changes can be slight and not interfere with use. That is why Hollander requests imput from wrecking yards as to what will interchange. I will have to see if I can find a "unit" number, preferably a Hollander Number.

Guest Faust

OK, I am only pushing this one because I found the tranny in the trunk of a parts car. People tell me about the "cable" on a '39 tranny. I don't see one. Case number is 130921. Is this a '39?

th_39tranny.jpg

th_100_1993.jpg

Faust:

Case looks to be correct for 39 Series 40. The rear end of the case differs from other years as in 1939 Buick tried a 2 piece driveshaft. The torque ball was relocated from the back of the trans to a point under the X member of the frame. This was changed in 1940 as there were balance and vibration problems with the 2 piece assembly. The cable being referred to is one that runs from the column shift to the side of the trans case. When you move the shift lever from 1st to 2nd, the cable moves the shifting forks inside the trans. For 1940 Buick replaced this with a rod assembly. If somewhere in the parts car you spot a braided cable with a metal bracket attached to it, that's it. Buick tried several new things with the 39's all at one time. Unfortunately, they changed many of them back in 1940. Gotta love that 39 grille, though. That was my undoing. I have owned a 39 Limited, a Special conv, and currently have a wonderfully original Special sedan. Hope this helps.