JUDGES NEEDED!!! ANNUAL GRAND NATIONAL IN DOVER

Done did! Just once I'd like to get a class I request to judge. Even with 56 credits I seldom get anywhere near where I'd like to judge. But, on the bright side, you do learn more judging cars you might not have a personal interest in. Last weekend in Virginia Beach I learned lots of new stuff about High Performance autos.

Thanks, it is great when we get professionals like you who can add so much expertise to our teams. Kind of reminds me the very first time I judged, all I asked was to not get Model A's...you guessed it, got them. Dover is going to be a great meet...the cars will be spectacular and it is a great venue. Can't wait although National Award judging there (we pick 2 cars out of the 500 or so) will give our team a very large headache!

For many years, Sandy & I would make a long distance run to a National Meet on Friday night, show a vehicle, judge (somewhere around 140 credits), enjoy the cars and friends, return home on Sunday, and repeat the same agenda a week or two later. Unless a Meet was near home, we rarely arrived before the wee hours of Saturday morning. Only on rare occasions did we ever arrive early enough for a Friday Judging school, and in those times we had already been to school at the Annual Meeting. We've not been able to make Philly, or any Friday school, the past two years, so we are no longer qualified to judge at a Meet. We fully expect to one day be able to attend a school, and thereby become eligible to return to the judging field, but it won't be in time for Dover or Asheville. frown.gif

I can't get you to judging school, but I can get you to Dover. You're 10 miles from my place. If you can find a room for two nights, and can cover your own meals, you can ride down with us for nothing. We're taking two trucks, pulling two trailers, and bringing two cars, so an extra set of eyes, and maybe a spare set of hands on the steering wheel would be welcome.

My dad is leaving the Friday morning before the AGNM, driving to Fort Indiantown Gap to meet me (I'll be down there on military business with a truck trailer and car), and then we're going from there to Dover. Sunday morning, we're going to stop at the truck show in MacCungie on the way home.

If you want to go to Dover, the offer is there, and the cost to you will be your own costs once you get down there. I don't expect to be in Dover much before 5pm Friday night, but maybe if Steve is desparate for judges, you can get a crash course with judging school after you get there.

...As has been listed in past posts, maybe judging schools should be held later in the afternoon so some of the people who work can travel in and get their judging school done before the meet. With these early afternoon judging schools, a lot of us can't make it in on time for the school without having to take additional time off of work, and/or spend an additional day in lodging. Of course I have previously mentioned the online schools, they are being considered, but it is still taking time to get the concept developed and implemented.

Pat ~

Many thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it, but it's not the cost, or the need for lodging, since we have the motorhome. It's the extra day required in order to attend a judging school. Dover is only about six hours from home, and we could easily do the run on Friday night, but it's a long way to go to only be able to look at the vehicles, and not judge. When it's convenient for us to attend another school, we will, but in reality, we don't expect to be spending an entire day somewhere, just to attend a two-hour session, anytime soon. For us, the old cars and judging is our hobby, not our way of life, like for some folks. Life is short, and we have other interests and priorities. On-line courses would be great. I've taken them for ICS & NIMS, but, unfortunately, I think they're a generation away for AACA.

Best of luck to you and Nelson, at Dover. Both vehicles are very well done, and deserving of that AGN Senior.

I know it David. I wish I was better versed in doing the stuff. If it was a deal where we didn't live 500+ miles apart, I would gladly help you, or at least be there to learn some of the stuff where we could work on it together.

Once again, with this type of plan implemented, we could stand a chance at gaining and retaining more judges by allowing people to receive their required training on their own time. Currently, unless the meet is being held close to home, if you're going a fair distance to judge at a meet, something happens en route to the meet, and you miss judging school, you won't be judging. The last three years that my father and I have been going to meets and judging, many of the trips could easily be a day trip. The problem is that with the time that judging school was held, something like getting a flat tire on the car trailer, would put us late enough to where we'd miss judging school. In order to avoid that, we were taking an extra day off of work to get there on Thursday, so we wouldn't miss school. An extra day away from home, adds up to extra money being spent, and the extra time off from work means losing more time to do other things with the family.

The problem is that many of the host regions have an activity planned for Friday night. If they did a school in the early evening hours, this could alleviate some of the problems that people have going to judging school, and would allow some people the ability to cut down a day of travel. Until then, there is nothing saying that the local regions couldn't be hosting non-meet judging schools like what was done in Hershey last month. This would also help keep the number of available judges up by making judging school more accessible to more people.