Hauk Wire Wheel hub cap

Guest CanLen

Guest CanLen

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the year of a hub cap I have, and what it could possibly be worth. I have looked in various forums for similar pics, but most don't show real good close-ups of hub-caps!! I'm guessing it is around 1916. I was going to put it on eBay but have no idea what to ask re price.

It is in very good condition, with only a few minor dings.

The outer 'nut' portion is octogan shaped (8 sided), about 4" across, is made of plated heavy brass and threaded on the inside. The outside is tapered where it goes into the wheel hub.

There is a round metal plate riveted onto the face of the cap, and it says "Buick" in the centre.

Around that it says "Quick Change Hauk Wire Wheel", and "Hauk Wire Wheel of America".

There is a small lever that pivots which I assume locks the cap in place.

Any info would be appreciated.

I have attached a picture.

Thanks in advance.

CanLen

post-46376-143137896208_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear CanLen:

If you have a copy of the book "70 years of Buick', there's a picture of a 1919 Buick on the top of page 68 fitted with Houk wheels. To do a installation on a car, you need 4 Houk hubs that bolt to the steering knuckles and the rear brake drums, 4 Houk retaining nuts and 5 Houk wire wheels (1 for the spare). A complete set of parts would be probably $2000-$5000 depending on condition and exactly what the hubs fit. They are quite rare, but the nut by itself might bring around $75-$100 as it can be used on any Houk wheel installation.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest CanLen

Thanks Dave -- I appreciate the update.

I'll hang onto it as I hate to pitch it out if someone can make use of it.

Maybe someone will give it a new home!!

Thanks again.

CanLen