Sign in to follow this  
bbock

1955 olds vacuum lines - windshield wipers

I need a routing diagram for 55 olds holiday 324 v8. I think the previuos owner disconnected the vacuum lines and put it back together wrong. car runs OK but the windshield wipers will not oscillate with both lines connected. If I disconnect the bottom hose and plug it they work a little. The motor is good. I removed it and connected to an air compressor line.

If I can remember correctly the vacumn lines go from the manifold to one port on the top of the fuel pump and then goes from the other to the wiper motor,the fuel pumps are a dual diaphram with the top diaphram used for keeping somewhat the same vacumn to the wiper motor so it would not slow down too much. Jeff

junkyardjeff is correct but you need to keep the lines going to the right pipe on top of the pump. The Vacuum inlet pipe is the one that is closest to the engine block. That pipe is the one that is connected to the wiper. The other one or outlet pipe is connected to the manifold.

If you need to know how to test the pump diaphragm let me know, I can give you the test.

Good luck

Ron

Could someone identify which of the fittings on the attached picture of the vacuum side of the fuel pump goes to the wiper motor and which comes from the carburetor base? It also seems odd to me that there would be a shut off valve on the vacuum pump. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Bob

Somehow the picture ended up horizontal. It should be rotated 90 degrees to the right.

post-47685-143138171532_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobOlds
picture explanation (see edit history)

The block that the pump is on is a 1950, not '55. Is there a reason that this pump will not work on a 1950? This is not a restoration as in ever to be judged. I believe I got the vacuum hook up question answered by a model year advisor. Thanks for looking.

Bob

I am trying to figure out the same ques for my 54..where lines go to make the wipre work. There is a hard line from fule pump that slits to rubber 1 going tot he top inlet of wiper moter...no idea where other one goes. There is an outlet on the bottom, nothing attached. Do you have any pics or canu draw me a diagram? Thanks!

Hi...and sorry for the bump and semi hijack :o

I got a 55 with a electronic fuel pump fitted and my wipers don't work.

Now...that don't bother me that much but the Swedish vehicle inspection all of a sudden(they have let it pass the last 10 years) failed it at my latest inspection.

The wiper motor has got a vacuum line going to it from somewhere behind the carb and the wipers move about half way up the window.

Do you guys think a clean, some lube and making some new gaskets for the motor would solve my problem and let me enjoy my sweet ride again?

Sweed, there are electric wiper conversions made for 55-57 Chevrolets. I know of a couple people who have adapted those to 1957 Oldsmobiles. These may also fit 55-56 Olds and Buick and would be a good upgrade from your current vacuum wiper system.

The vacuum wiper motors are fairly easy to rebuild. Getting to them in the car might be the trick.

Hi...and sorry for the bump and semi hijack :o

I got a 55 with a electronic fuel pump fitted and my wipers don't work.

Now...that don't bother me that much but the Swedish vehicle inspection all of a sudden(they have let it pass the last 10 years) failed it at my latest inspection.

The wiper motor has got a vacuum line going to it from somewhere behind the carb and the wipers move about half way up the window.

Do you guys think a clean, some lube and making some new gaskets for the motor would solve my problem and let me enjoy my sweet ride again?

Your problem may not be the wiper motor. Your car originally came with a double action fuel pump which provided vacuum of the correct pull for the wipers to function. Obviously an electric fuel pump provides no vacuum and the manifold vacuum is likely not correct for the wiper motor.

Electric conversion is a solution, but a rather costly one. In the late 1950's and early 1960's General Electric produced conversion 2 speed wiper motors for many cars and there are still many of them floating around. There is a company who sells on ebay which refurbishes them, but be prepared to pay something around $275 U.S. maybe more. I run one of those refurbished conversions on my '58 Mercury and it works fine.

Probably the cheapest way to fix the problem is with a correct double action fuel pump. There is one of those on ebay now for $139.99

1955 56 57 58 Oldsmobile new double action fuel pump - eBay (item 400202671581 end time Apr-13-11 21:13:57 PDT)

It might be wise to look for a rebuild kit if you by this pump as it probably will need a refreshing of the diaphragms, if not now sometime soon.

Good luck,

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Thanks for the answers!

Yeah i know that it came with a vacuum fuel pump(in fact its still on the engine, just not hooked up to the fuel system), and i also think that the manifold vacuum might not be enough to get proper wiper action...but i don't need that, just need them to work good enough to get trough the inspection :P

I took the pump apart yesterday and its dirtyyyyyyyyy inside. almost felt like it was sand in it :eek:, so I'm gonna give it a good clean and make some new gaskets.

What should I lube it up with? silicone spray, white lithium grease or something else?

If a clean don't work I guess electric is the way to go, found a couple of kits...but almost $500 with shipping to Sweden, that's no good :S I think I'm going to diy something from a boat wiper motor if just the angels match up kinda good

hi sweed, i have a 1953 pontiac that also had vacuum wipers, and even with a light throttle, the wipers would either slow down or stop completely. all i did was buy a 1955-57 chevy 12 volt electric wiper motor, it mounted the same way the vacuum motor did, i had to move the horns up to the radiator support. show me a picture close up of your vacuum motor mounting location on your old's firewall, that will tell me if you can do what i did. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Make sure the windshield is super clean also helps and it would be better if it was wet in the inspection....that stuff they put on windshields to repel rain works and is slippery. Original wipers work so may as well fix them.

Pontiac: Yeah I will throw up some pics when I find the camera :rolleyes:

Pete: I tried that and it helped, but not close to enough

But I think I have found out why they don't work!

I cleaned the bowl out last night and around half of the inside of the bowl is corroded and feels like sandpaper, so I'm going to take some chrome polish and try to polish it out.

I think that will do it

Edited by sweed_olds (see edit history)

Pontiac: Yeah I will throw up some pics when I find the camera :rolleyes:

Pete: I tried that and it helped, but not close to enough

But I think I have found out why they don't work!

I cleaned the bowl out last night and around half of the inside of the bowl is corroded and feels like sandpaper, so I'm going to take some chrome polish and try to polish it out.

I think that will do it

Are you speaking of the cavity in the wiper motor or some other "bowl?"

Jim

Yeah i think so...bowl was the closest thing i could come up with in English(Not my native tongue) ;)

The part that the arrow points to in the picture

post-44557-143138489216_thumb.jpg

Yeah i think so...bowl was the closest thing i could come up with in English(Not my native tongue) ;)

The part that the arrow points to in the picture

As someone mentioned earlier, there is nothing wrong with your English. You have a better command of the language than many who have it as their native language and I'll guarantee is is better than 99.99% of us can communicate in Swedish.:D

With that said, I don't know that polishing the inside of that portion of the wiper motor will improve function, but there is every likelihood that a liberal dose of WD-40 or similar lubricant to moving parts may well improve things along with a fresh set of wiper blades.

Jim

With vacuum wipers,everything must be in top shape and they will work ok. For every part that is not up to top shape,the total result equals really poor wipers. The vacuum/fuel pump must be leak free....and there are many ways to leak.

Jim: Thanks :D i don't think just lube will do it, the inside of the cavity feels like a 120-160 grit sandpaper. On the smooth parts the paddle moves really easy but as soon as it hits the rough parts its gets hard to move. maybe polish is the wrong way to go but it needs to be smoothed out, go over it with 2000 wet&dry maybe?

Pete: sadly I know that :D my car is in no way a show car...more of a rock n roll cruiser(despite the color,white&coral :D) and there has been attempts at restoring it in the past(at least at two different times) by people of different skill and there are some strange solutions in some places. And some corners cut, like with the primer and paint on the hood witch has shrunk and cracked at the "lip" of the hood :(

I found a empty hose connection at the back of the engine last night, right in the middle and high up on the back side of the engine...should there be a vacuum line there? and to what should i go to?

Jim: Thanks :D i don't think just lube will do it, the inside of the cavity feels like a 120-160 grit sandpaper. On the smooth parts the paddle moves really easy but as soon as it hits the rough parts its gets hard to move. maybe polish is the wrong way to go but it needs to be smoothed out, go over it with 2000 wet&dry maybe?

Pete: sadly I know that :D my car is in no way a show car...more of a rock n roll cruiser(despite the color,white&coral :D) and there has been attempts at restoring it in the past(at least at two different times) by people of different skill and there are some strange solutions in some places. And some corners cut, like with the primer and paint on the hood witch has shrunk and cracked at the "lip" of the hood :(

I found a empty hose connection at the back of the engine last night, right in the middle and high up on the back side of the engine...should there be a vacuum line there? and to what should i go to?

An open vacuum hose nipple throws all sorts of things off, maybe way off, including the operation of the wipers. I don't have a manual on your model car so I'm not sure what that vacuum fitting should be going to. I'd temporarily plug it until you can get a copy of the vacuum circuits for the car from someplace.

Of course plugging it is going to eventually require a carburetor adjustment and a timing adjustment for things to be right. If the version of the hydra-matic on the car had a vacuum modulator that is probably the vacuum source for it. If not, I haven't a clue without some research.

Another oddball thought, does the car have a vacuum motor operated trunk release? If yes and it isn't working that may have been for a vacuum line to the switch inside the glove box. Any holes in the firewall that aren't filled with something? How about windshield washer motor/pump? Just rambling a bit trying to think of possibilities for what a vacuum line connected at that point might have operated.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

looks like you can do what i did, simply mount the 12 volt 55-57 chevy wiper motor, hook up the wire control, and run the hot wire with an inline fuse to your fuse box. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Good close up pictures of the various parts like, the lines, fuel/vac pump and the "new" vacuum port, otherwise it is a guessing game without all the information.

Ron

As Pontiac1953 has stated, the Chevy is a nearly direct swap-in = I did that to my driver 56 way back in 1972. Two speeds - not variable like the vacuum wipers - so I did not convert my other 56 Olds.

I rebuild all types of Trico wiper motors - these motors are really good and powerful. The roughness in the case needs to be smoothed. The motor will have the power to move across the roughness but it will wear out the seal on the paddle - expensive - use a good synthetic grease on the paddle and valves and gaskets.

Also - there are aftermarket electric vacuum pumps that will supply vacuum long enough for an inspection. There are even a few belt driven vacuum pumps - Govmo used them on the Olds diesels. I have seen BMW's with electric vacuum pumps - no idea as to what they used them far - so check with new car dealerships.

Ron

so got the motor on the car now but of course i don't have a good battery so I'm just waiting to charge up two old and not so good ones so i can get it started and see if i have worked wonders:D...however, i got her to run and had the wiper switch in what i think is the "wipe" position and nothing happened but it just ran for 10sec then stalled and the battery was dead again.

If it don't work electric here i come, chevy one or new replacement kit...had her sitting in my garage the past 3years(not just because failed inspection but a bit failed dedication from my side and other projects) and really want to get her on the road again

Found the camera today :D here is some pics of the mounting plate and the empty nipple

post-44557-143138491496_thumb.jpg

post-44557-14313849154_thumb.jpg

Edited by sweed_olds (see edit history)

No wonders worked :(

I'm waiting for a shipping quote on a conversion kit so i guess that i buy that if the shipping's not crazy expensive