Firmness of struts

I just had new struts put on my 90 with 135k miles on it. I got the Monroe Sensatrac struts. They ride much better than the old ones but the front and back struts are not the same firmness. When I push on the front bumper it dampens on the first bounce. When I push on the back bumper it takes two bounces. Is this normal? Can someone else check their car and see what happens?<P>Thanks!

I don't believe Monroe makes Sensatracs for the rear.<BR>A few years ago when mine needed replacement the retailers (2 different shops) tried to install a set which included non-Sensatracs for the rears. They'll install anything to "make the sale". I made them re-install my old ones at the first shop. After the second shop filled my order I noticed that rears weren't Sensatrac. He told me that Monroe doesn't make them.

I have Monroe Sensitrac's on the back and something else on the front. The ride is firm and just the way I like it even if the damping is a bit different.

Hi -<BR>I'm not clear if you had all 4 struts replaced, or only the fronts. However, just an FYI - in the state of NH vehicle inspection regs, if the suspension allows for 2 or more full bounces at any corner of the car, then it will fail the inspection & is not considered street legal. I believe this has to do with deterioration of the components and (possibly in your case) not having the correct components (IE: OEM parts - if you did have the rears replaced)<P>.... as usual, just my 2 cents.<BR>~Brenda

Thanks for all your replies. I did have all 4 replaced. I actually had the back ones replaced twice in the same week. The first time they were completely aweful. The shop claimed one of them was bad. I have noticed from other strut posts that a few reatta owners have had the bad strut problem (whick would be rare on any other car). Why are these struts such a mystery?

Perhaps, in this case, in the interest of saving money, everyone's going with aftermarket, instead of OEM. I'm not sure who makes the factory ones, but I've installed new OEM sets (purchased at the dealer) on 2 Reattas with no troubles.<p>[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: Reatta2go ]