Valve caps

jonlabree

The caps are a light grey. There are three styles, one with a round top, one with a small knob on the top and one with a larger knob on the top so air could be let out of a valve stem. The caps are the standard size you see on most valve stems, about 3/8 inch tall. There were some used on late '90s cars that were about 1/2 or 3/4 inch high and these would be wrong.

For judging any of the three styles are OK. Points are only taken off if the caps are not light grey.

See the attachment for a picture of the round top style.

post-30613-143137895402_thumb.jpg

While time consuming...the only way to get the correct original caps are from the spare tires in wrecked cars. Virtually all GM cars of the period used the same grey valve cap.

Several years back I attempted to find new grey caps and finally found one of the manufacturers that had a grey. They are more blue-grey than the original but grey. I purchased 500 and gave them to Reatta owners that had cars entered in the BCA meet. The present judging rules say "grey" so technically any grey valve cap will get you by.

I would suggest that the next time you visit a wrecking yard, try and find 4 or more of the correct grey caps for your collection.

Guest imported_Mark K

I went junkyarding this weekend and found some grey valve stem caps on GM spare tires. I found 3 different types. The first type has a point on the end that has a recess in the point. There is lettering that says ?Dill? and ?627? on them. The next type has a domed top with a smaller dome on top of that. The third type has a smooth domed top. The first two styles are sort of a blue-grey color and the third is more brown-grey. See attached photo.

The spare on my '90 convertible has the first style with the point. My neighbor down the street has a '90 coupe with 30,000 miles and had original tires on it when she bought. It also had the pointed caps on it. In fact the previous owner had lost one and was bummed out about it. I gave her a matching one off my ?89 coupe spare. I think we can assume that style cap came on '90's and possibly '89's. Can anyone else shed some more light on the subject?

Mark

post-32901-143137895405_thumb.jpg