Scum on the chrome bumper

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the cloudy scum on the chrome bumper? I have tried everything from acetone to maguires #2. As soon as you stop rubbing it slowly reappears like a fog.

One more thing. My front black bumper has been slowly peeling for years. I tried sanding down the bad spots and using a black bumper spray but just using a permanent black marker to color in the bad spots works just as well. I would like to corect this problem all together if anyone has suggestions.

I wish the bumpers were chrome, they would be easier to keep looking new. The bumpers are made of aluminum. It seems once they start to dull, there is not much you can do about it. I have had some sucess with a product called Boyd's Ultra Violet Wheel Polish. While the polish did not restore the like new look, it did improve the appearance to a degree. Maybe someone else has had more luck with a better product short of the bumpers being removed and sent off to be refinished.<P>Howard

There is or was a product called aluminum jelly that might do the trick. I have some of that scum on one sie so i'll look for some and try it. An rv store may hve some smile.gif" border="0

I've used a product called "FLITZ". It's a great polish for any alumiun or copper. the shine at least lasts for a season. Good Luck. Don

I tried several things and finally used Semichrome polish on a 4 inch buffing wheel. It took all the haze and spots off and they now look like new. It will not take off nicks, however, since the abrasive is too mild. I used masking tape along the painted plastic parts to avoid damaging them by the buffing process.