Sign in to follow this  
seyman

Montgmery Ward

Sears had Craftsman, Western Auto had Wizard, what was the Montgomery Ward in-store brand of merchandise? Where else can a house bound guy pick the brains of fellow old pharts???

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I believe Master Mechanic is True Value hardware's line of tools. thanks

In 1979 their best tools (lifetime warranty) were sold under the name Powr Kraft. That's the actual spelling on the wrench I bought there that year.

Their tools were sold under the Powr-Kraft name from the 1940's through the end of Monkey-Ward...

I know their house-brand of tires were "Riverside"...

Dad liked to tell me of the '53 Packard he purchased off the back lot at Ballenger Buick in Laurel, MD in 1963, for $25, and he bought an overhaul-kit from M-W and rebuilt the engine...

M-W built a big, white "art-deco" warehouse/catalog store on Monroe Ave in West Baltimore around 1932... I always thought it was so neat to go down there with my parents when I was a kid in the early 1970's... I wonder if the bldg is still there...

Thanks for mentioning Riverside. I must admit my interest went beyond hand tools to batteries, etc. Was Riverside the name for the miscellaneous automotive items, or just for tires?

Anyone know when they were made? I have a set of Riverside spark plugs on my Chandler I have been wondering about? Been on the car for at least 40-50 years. Probably only the second set the car has seen.

We are still using Riverside tires on one our Ts. Great tires. Wish they still made them. I think we are going to have to replace soon unless someone has a couple in good condition they would like to get rid of. (Hint, hint)

I believe that the "Riverside" brand name extended to even the Montgomery Ward line of motor scooters.

Frank,

The building is still there and it looks very good. About 3 months ago I saw a spot on the local news about it. I can't remember exactly what it is being used for now but it has been restored. It may be converted to condominiums. I remember going to Wards on Monroe street in the early 1960's and it was a very impressive store. It has huge!

I have a set of Montgomery Ward Riverside tires on my Model T. It's too bad that they're not available anymore because they're terrific tires. The tires that are available for "Ts" can't come close.

Rog smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Frank,

The Engineer's Guide to Baltimore has an interesting information page with photograph about the Montgomery Ward mail-order warehouse built in 1925. The text says it was large enough to supply the entire Eastern United States.

The URL for the site is: http://www.ce.jhu.edu/baltimorestructures/Montgomery%20Ward/montgomery_ward.htm

The New York times also has a good article on the building's future at: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01E3D8143EF931A15753C1A9669C8B63

Riverside was to Wards as Allstate was to Sears. There was a Wards store in Northern Virginia (Bailey's Crossroads or Seven Corners, maybe?) in the '70s that had a really neat and sophisticated diagnostic lane.

Doug in MD