Wheel Bearing Seals 48 LC

abelincoln

Carefully measure the axles at the point that the seals make contact, measure the diameter and depth of the channel on the hub into which they fit. (use micrometer or decent verniers) A Universal joint, power transmission or bearing and gear type supplier usually can match one up easily. (I had a cross shaft seal for my steering box on backorder and on a hunch went to my local power transmission parts house, they had the exact seal on the counter in front of me in less than 5 minutes) I may try them for the wheel bearing seals for my 36. I have some of the original type copper ones, but think modern seals may be better. I'm due for a repacking of the wheelbearings anyway. Anybody have experience using modern seals on the wheel bearings?

Abe, believe the p/ns you need are National 5796 ( front) and National 5877(rear). The rear ones are more expensive as they are quite "stout" and help keep the rear roller bearing in place. They are the same as Ford/Merc.

• 1 month later...
Guest moodier

Hi;Like that dual power master cyl.idea.Do you know what to use or what fits it.I see them for the ford don't know if that would fit the Lincoln.If I remember I used a 48 ford master cyl a few years ago on mine but like that dual power idea!!

Moodier:

I obtained a brake dual booster and master from Hot Rods USA, Inc. in Vancouver, WA., 360-882-0444. Price was $196.10 including shipping. Haven't received the master cylinder top, fill hose, and remote reservoir yet due to order mix up. The 7" booster will fit under the floor and connect to the original brake operating rod. However, I need to cut a large hole and four small holes in a 6" X 6", 1/2" steel plate I have to push the booster and four mounting studs through and bolt the booster to the plate. I then plan to drill and tap the plate for the three 3/8" bolts that connect the pedal assembly to the old master cylinder. One inch shorter bolts are needed. Unfortunately the assembly is then about one inch too long, so I'll have to notch the X - member for the end of the master cylinder to fit. I'm not too concerned as I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the X - member for dual exhaust as well. I'll need to bend up a couple of short brake lines to connedct the cylinder fittings to the old brake lines. NAPA has brake lines with fittings you can bend. If disk brakes are installed, you'd also need a proporting valve and drain back valve as well. I think a replacement brake pedal assembly for a Ford would also work and avoid some of the adaptation.

Abe