What's the best tool to remove stainless trim?

airbrushguy

You might want to look inside the doors. At least on my 40's and 50's era cars, they were held on from the backs with nuts. You undo the nuts and they came right off. All the trim was held on the same way.

The clip that holds it to the trim is usually rusted away but you can find them on ebay pretty regularly.

It could be clips or nuts. You won't know for sure until you look. If clips use a spray lubricant from the back side and use pliars from the back side to decompress the clips. If you pry from the front, gently use a nylon type pry tool (available from a glass shop). In either case the original retainers will most likely be shot. I recommend using only bolt on type replacement clips. Restoration supply has whatever you would need..........Bob.

Guest Faust

My '39 40 used sort of barbed, semi T-shaped clips. The leg of the "T" spreading. The barbs were on the legs that penetrated the body. The hole in the body is round, when the legs penetrated the hole they spread and the barbs caught on the outer periphery. Compressing them from the back would ease removal, but they popped out easily enough with a lever. I have one kicking around somewhere. I'll post a photo if I can find it.