reconditioned antenna and headlight motors

Barney Eaton

I have been rebuilding headlight motors for sometime. I now have a couple of power antennas that I have reconditioned and I will sell them for $50.00 exchange.<P>I disassemble the unit, clean everything, lube the motor bearings, gears, and sliding tubes. Clean the motor communitator and check the brushes. The flex shaft that raises the antenna is replaced because it is almost always broken.<P>If the antenna shaft is bent, there is an additional $25 charge to replace that. <P>Headlight motors are still $50.00 each exchange.<P>Barney@texas.net

Just curious, are there any other GM cars that we can grab the antennas or headlight motors off of? EXAMPLE- Regal antennas or Fiero headlight motors, are they the same?? Just trying to increase the pool of parts available.

The Fiero is totally different, the Firebird is similar but the three mounting bosses on the gearbox are located in a different position and are longer.<P>I would think the antenna would be similar on other GM cars but they probably have the same broken parts.

I swiched the antenia motor off a 87 Buick. I was selling the car for next to nothing and I put a new motor in it a year before. <P>I was not real satified because the hight seemed about 8" taller than the broken one. It seems too tall for the car. What is the stock antenia hight for this car? The top button that hides when the mast was down was black instead of crome. Should the stock Reatta top button be crome? Of coarse I didn't notice until I spent the time to switch them.<P>Barney, can you tell me where the antenia drain tube is goes to on the body? The orignal was missing the drain tube and I can't xeem to find any drain hole in the body.<P>Tom

Barney,<P>Could you post the part number to the antenna shaft kit you've found to work the best? My local Buick dealer tells me the original antenna mast has long since been dropped by GM. They only stock the entire unit for megabucks. <P>The last Reatta antenna I rebuilt, I just took the old shaft to my Buick dealer and matched it up to one that was as close as I could find. It came out of an early 90's LeSabre, I think.<P>Thanks for all your great advice, Barney!<P>Joe

The original part for the Reatta is discontinued. I have used 22038195 that was listed as a Caprice part. <BR>Now using 22039349..not sure what it is listed for but it its cheaper than the Caprice part.