Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

OK, originial old car fans...

Here is your chance to keep the old cars old. There is a 1927 original Essex on E-BAY with only 6000 miles on it. Even the top is in good condition!

Now is the time to show the "orange crowd" that you are willing to spend the money necessary to keep this one original.

Go to E-BAY and search for item # 4636902163

Ps, I bet the "orange crowd" will get this one. (be on the look out for a low mileage motor and spoke wheels next on E-BAY.)

Roger--I'm afraid we are going to see more original cars "going orange" in the future. Our stalwarts in the hobby are aging, and there aren't enough younger people coming into the "original car" end of the hobby. I know of many members of the local CCCA chapter, and I'm only aware of three of them whose sons are interested in, and want to inheret (and keep) dad's cars. I was at a function of theirs a few years ago, standing in the chow line. I looked over to my co-worker and said "Bob, you and I are going to live to see some of these classics streetrodded". Hoo-boy the dirty looks I got. One fellow [color:\\"red\\"] said "that's not true! the membership in the CCCA is at an all time high" (with men in their late 50's-80's) [color:\\"red\\"] . I asked: "are your kids interested, do they want to have and enjoy these cars after you are gone? --I pretty much got silence on that one. The street rod guys have climbed every mountain there is to climb with a Ford body, and they are looking to make the rod that hasn't been done before. Want to make your blood boil? read an issue of "Hot Rod"--they gloat at how the car was a "good original" before the carnage began. At age 43 I was the kid at that event, as was my co-worker. This is going to hit critical mass at one point, and the supply/demand ratio is going to up-end. I hope to get a 32-34 Packard sedan someday, and I think that's going to be easy (and cheaper) in about 10-15 years. I don't like this "orange car" thing, hate painted bumpers and small block chebbies in everything, but there's groth in that sector and stagnation in our world. what to do?

sad but true.what connection does a young person have to a car out of the 20s and 30s.40s and 50s cars were the cars on the road when i was a kid.there were cars from the 30s still around.but now the kids barely connect to a car from the 60s.i hate to see orginial cars rodded.my wife bought me my DeSoto with the idea of making a chopped rat rod.but i got a car with 34000 miles that was very orginial.[the tires were put on in 1955]so that idea was out the window.so i only added fenderskirts and coker widewhites.there are still rats to make rats out of cool.gif

post-36410-143137894632_thumb.jpg

my fathers family had a open touring maxwell in the 20s,then a 30 ford sedan.when we were going to Atlantic City we stopped and looked at a ford just like the one they had.my Dad told me how they drove fron Virginia to the 1933 Chicagos worlds fair in it.it was a great story .so i would love a car like that just because of the connection to my Dad.[he passed away in 2005 at 84 years old]but my son would have connections to the many 60s cars we had when he was little. cool.gif