Advice for new owner

Guest jcc3inc

Guest jcc3inc

Hello all,

I recently acquired a '91 with 119K miles. Maintenance info is available for only the last 10K miles or so. I'd like advice on which items ought to be changed/inspected to maintain reliable operation. It does need the gas tank sensor as it reports "nearly empty" after using (9) gallons after a fill. It has had a brake line replaced recently.

Thanks in advance,

Jack C.

I just purchased a 91 which had brake lines replaced,You need to get under the car and check power steering lines and transmission cooler lines, same type of tubing as brake lines, I think they rust out just above the frame,also check out under the battery, mine is going into weld shop for new battery tray.also change all fluids and hoses now beats sitting on the side of the road on a sunny day.I also changed the tires makes a huge difference in ride and noise inside cabin.You are going to love this car. best of luck.

This can vary around the country. I moved from the rust belt over 40 years back and forget about rust and stuck bolts etc.

One rust area not mentioned in the above post is the engine cradle. Rust belt cars can get sluch packed in the area of the passanger foot well on the engine cradle. There have been owners report the cradle has rusted through in this area. I would suggest inspecting that also.

Have the brake system flushed. This is critical on 1988-1990 Reattas and also very inportant on 1991's..... dirty brake fluid can damage expensive parts and cause premature brake problems. Clean fluid is very important with ABS systems.

The second verse is "how does the fluid get dirty?" Water accumulates in DOT-3 fluid at the rate of 1 to 1 1/2 % per year. Possibly more if you live in a humid area. The moisture rust metal parts and corrodes aluminum. The rust and corrosion floates in the brake fluid and will damage seals, "O"rings, etc.

Clean fluid is cheap insurance against brake problems.

In regard to the fuel gauge sensor, just drive the car for a while and see if it corrects itself. The sending unit in the tank can get slightly corroded if the car sits for a while and the tank is low. After several fills and emptying I would bet the gauge will start working again.

Guest imported_barra

Perhaps adding Sea Foam or some other fuel system cleaner may help. Gasoline evaporates with time and becomes varnish-like. Gas tanks always seem to collect dirt. The sensor just might be dirty.

Guest imported_dantm4

You may need a brake accumulator and/or an 02 sensor. These two things seem to help the most besides changing out the fluids. Replacing my O2 sensor probably resulted in an avg mpg increase of 3-4 mpg. Have fun, you'll love the car.

-Dan

90' Black/Tan Coupe

Guest imported_dantm4

91's don't have accumulators? hmmm, never knew that. Thanks for the info.

-Dan

90' Black/Tan Coupe