I have a nice jack that I believe to be a 1939 jack... would someone be

so kind as to confirm this identification. Also wondering what the handle

was like that turns this jack.</P>

cbd_39buickjack.jpg\\" ALIGN=\\"BOTTOM

</BODY>

</HTML>

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Randy:

The jack shown is in fact a 1939 Buick jack, but only for a Special or Century as it has two ears. The one for the Roadmasters and Limiteds is quite similar but only has 1 ear. The jack is turned by a long handle that folds in half and has a crank on one end and a little flattened hook or knob that hooks into the jack itself.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Ditto that on the jack ID. Dave helped me a few years ago on a small series jack, while I was able to help him on a big series. They are definitely different. I still haven't found a handle yet, Dave. Good to see you are on the Forum.

Guest DaveCorbin

From these posts, it's good to see old friends in Ohio and Chicago here on the Forum. I'm a relative "newbie", as it's taken a while for me to get computer-literate enough to participate. The practice I've gotten in doing the Buick frame number and engine number research has helped, too. To my old friend "Glassesguy", that jack you traded me for still resides in the 1939 Roadmaster's trunk, which I still have. To my old friend "Palbuick", it was great to see you at the Chicagoland chapter meeting in Jan. The Roadie has been joined here in Texas by a 1938 Buick Model 48 self-shifter. I've written to our mutual friend in Chicagoland, who has one of those weirdos too. By about 2 hours, his is older than mine.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thank you Dave for the ID confirmation and added info.

I picked up this jack last week at a auction up in the boonies, it was probably headed for the scrap metal heap as I bought about 2 dozen for dirt cheep.

Yes this internet is amazing... I used the internet to compile a jack id visual library of over 300 jacks.... and then used the internet to confirm it. Now I'm using the net to find it a new home....

Guest Straight eight

cool.gifAmong those jacks, would you have one for a 47 Buick Super.

They were a bumper jack with a almost square hook going under the bumper.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cliff Herold

Howell, Mi 48843 grin.gif

post-30843-143137894505_thumb.jpg

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Adobe PageMill 2.0 Mac">

<TITLE>Untitled Document</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff" LINK="#000000">

Cliff,

Jacks are tough to ID... especially the bumper jacks. I usually buy a bunch

all year long.... then lay them all out in a field and piece together what

looks like a completed base-leg-hook combo. I usually ID about 3 or 4 for

a afternoons work....!</P>

jackjunk.jpg\\" ALIGN=\\"BOTTOM</P>

I looked in my ID library and don't have a photo of a 1947 Jack... might

have one... just don't know if I have one...!

</BODY>

</HTML>

>>Does the attached photo help to identify??>>

There was a link at one time on these message boards to a web page full of prewar jacks from the AACA Museum, and I used that reference to ID this jack as well as a few more. Anyone know where the link went to that resource, as I've used it to identify several prewar jacks now available for purchase. Thank you to everyone who confirmed this was really a 1939 Buick jack. Actually, when I bought the shark fin jack at an estate sale I assumed it was a Ford jack.

The second photo of me shows a red wagon full of old bumper jacks purchased at a swap meet, I was able to ID sevreral out of that purchase, the rest sit in storage waiting for a rainy day. On a slow day I'll post photos of the 100+ and growing pile of jacks I have in storage still awaiting identification. The steering wheel in the photo was a nice 1960's Jaguar, and the big red truck in the back ground once belonged to NASCAR great Bobby Allison.

Love It or Laugh at It,

Ramblen Randy

PS: I have to sell a lot of jacks just to pay for the gas to drive that big red truck around town...!

The AACA museum currently has on display a jack with the same markings SJ over 02 on one of the wings and 1020 on the base. It is labeled for a 1939 Buick. Does not mention which model. Hope this helps or confirms what others have already said.

John Marsh