tonneau cover release

Arrallen

This is on a 90 covertible I reciently bought. I followed the instructions on putting the top down, and had it down on previous occasions but with a lot of trouble releasing the tonneau cover. Today it would not release at all. I have power at the release switch but no release of the cover. I don't know where the trunk safety switch is to check that (so the trunk and tonneau cover can't both be up). The manual says the tonneau release relay is on the sheerwall. Is the sheerwall the backside of the sheetmetal dividing the cabin from the trunk? Is there a manual way to release the tonneau cover to get to this area? Any technical information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I believe that you can access the release manually thru the 2 rear compartments. Although I haven't actually needed to do it, I remember 2 small rectangular passage ways to get to the release. Once you can release the toneau, do the necessary tests to see why the electrical piston won't work.

If you have power to the switch, the trunk and other interlocks are not involved.<P>From the switch, power goes to the Tonneau Release Relay then to the two solenoids.<BR>I'm guessing the tonneau release relay because it would be unlikely that both release solenoids would fail at the same time. <P>The relay is located on passanger side, accessable from trunk, behind the carpet, near where the storage compartment would be, but on trunk side. There are several relays. The group of three together is the micro relay center, the one located toward the front of the car is the tonneau top/trunk ajar relay and the one you want, located toward the back of the car and closest to the floor is the tonneau release relay<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.