1940's late 30's speedo

mymolalla

Guest De Soto Frank

What made me think of Hudson products is that your speedo is laid-out with "O" MPH placed at "1 o'clock", and then reads clockwise to "120" MPH placed at "11 o'clock"...

Hudsons are the only cars I've seen with the speedo "inverted" in this fashion...

But, a 120 MPH top-end seems very optimistic for 1930's...

At any rate, it looks like a nice piece !

Guest De Soto Frank

Ooh! Ooh ! grin.gif

I think I might have figured it out: I was poring through my 1920-'39 American Carspotter's Guide (rapidly becoming a loose-leaf edition !), looking for any photos of dashes that might ID this speedo...

Working from the back of the book, I was finally up to Chrysler, and there are two "thumbnail" images of dashes for 1936: one for the Airstream, the other for the Airflow... I think this cluster is from a '36 Chrysler, and probably the Airflow (C-10)... the images in Burness' book are really hard to see, but the speedo for both cars is squarish, and appears to have that "inverted display" that yours does...

Want to try floating your pic down on the Airflow deparment here at AACA ?

An eight cylinder Airflow might just have been capable of 100 MPH (or more?)...

The one gauge I could eliminate immediately was the 1936 Chrysler Airstream (ihave one grin.gif

I looked at 35 through 38 mopar dashes. The size was the same, but that inverted graphics styling was the difference. I will float the picture down to the Airflow guys and see what they think!

Thanks Frank!