Headlight

With no warning my left headlight only came up half way. I was able to shut off lights and then turn lights back on and with help<BR>everything was OK. I tried the lights the next morning and no problem.<BR>Someone tell me what is going on....<BR>Also is there a way to have the headlights<BR>stay up all the time?

My driverside headlight started intermittantly working, off & back on would get it to work. However, after I let my friendly local dealer take a look at it (for $80) and tell me the arm and motor needed to be replaced (for another ~$500) it stopped going up altogether. <P>I contacted Lambert GM Parts (recommended from another Reatta.Org posting) I was able to buy the parts for less than $150 (new).<P>I obtained a diagram of the assembly and the repair was mostly straightforward, only requiring convoluted access to a few nuts and some patience. I did get to learn that two points of the assembly with bushings(?)/liners need to be very tight or the assembly (& therefore light beam) will jiggle/drift - this required almost a complete disassemble & reassemble.<P>If you decide to tackle, I could locate and fax the diagram and/or give more details.

Please use this site to its fullest extent! Had you used the search element and found headlights, you might have found that you only needed the bellcranks to fix the headlights and they cost as low as $25. Should you have neede the motors also, Barney offers to rebuild them for $50. / exchange.<P>For all who are new to this sight......Please use the search capability. I guarantee it will save you much anguish, time and money. This is by far the most informative and congenial BBS I have ever been associated with!<P>LOL<P>Ron

Do a search and you will find a (hopefully) complete instruction on rebuilding the headlights. The easy way is to remove the cover and light assembly...some people have tried to replace the motor by removing the bumper brace and that is much more difficult.<BR>CEK...the headlight does not "jiggle" because the pivots are loose..there is an "UP-STOP"<BR>that gets broken and causes the problem.<BR>If you get the pivots tight, the extra torque will wear out your bellcranks (again)<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Guest Dolores

I had the same problem and avoided driving at night for about 3 months because I didn't want the expense of a new motor. Finally, I took Barney's diagram on how to repair the headlight to a local mechanic NOT THE DEALER and it turned out it was the bellcrank. I ordered the part from gmpartsdirect.com and they put it on for me for less than $20. Whole repair under $50. This site is great for solutions. Good luck.