Sign in to follow this  
pughs

Milburn Tail Light

Can anyone tell me what the correct tail light for a 1921 Milburn looks like? Thank you.

Funny how you never see the back of an electric car in pictures. I would also like to know what the tail light looked like on a 1912 Rauch & Lang if anyone has access to one.

John

I have milburn car number 15106 in my shop for restoration now. The car came into my shop without a tailight. I visited the Iowa Historical Society Museum in downtown Des Moines and looked at the tailight on their 1919 Milburn. The mounting bracket was identical to the bracket in the 1915. I decided to attempt to replicate the 1919 tailight. I can't say for sure it is correct for the 15 however. I ordered a brass model T tailight ( part # T 6568 BR ) from Birdhaven Vintage auto parts in Colfax Iowa ( 515-674-3949 ) It is nearly identical to the 19 Milburn and can easily be modified to look even better. To do so, drill out the rivits that attach the mounting socket and rotate the socket so that it allows the wireing conduit to point inboard and re rivit the socket back onto the tailight body. Paint the body black. I nickel plated the lens retainer to match the plated parts on the car. Restoration Supply ( Escondito Ca. 1-800-674-3949 ) has a black plastic wire socket # ELEO 141 that is identical to the original and will plug into the tailight wire conduit. Use stainless flex conduit # ELEO 71 from Resto supply to run from the plastic plug up under the car body enclosing the light wires. You will need to slightly enlarge the hole in the plastic plug so the end of the flex can slip in and devise a way to keep the end in the plug. I haven't done that yet but it should be simple enough. I have a photo of the 1919 tailight and the new parts just described. Send me a SASE and I will send copies of the photos to you. John Worden 405 Green Mountain Road, Green Mountain Iowa 50632 Phone 641-474-2313 days Hope this helps. John Worden

John,

Thank you for the information. Can you post the photos online or email them to me? Otherwise, I will send you an envelope for the photos. Thank you.

Steve

Steve, I took the photo of the 1919 with my 35 mm camera. My scanner is still in the box and I haven't yet mastered sending photos with a post to this site. I would like for you to see both photos so the SASE is best at this time. John Worden

John,

I received the pictures. Thank you for the information. Evidently, my car was modified at some point. There are holes drilled into the rear lid for a tail light and for a license plate bracket. I bought a beat up light at Chickasha this year that has a similar look to the head lights. The holes in the lid mostly match up to the bolts on the light so I think I will put it on the Milburn for now after I tap out the dents and paint and polish the light. The Milburn is suppose to by wired for 84 volts as far as I can tell, but it looks like the lights run at 42 volts. Do you have any information about this?

Steve