Random Stalling

Guest MarianA

Guest MarianA

Hello everyone,

Well this is my first post ooo.gif and it is in regards of my Dad's reatta. He has an '88 with 160k on it. This car runs great but it has started just randomly stalling out on us and we can't figure out why. There's not really any rhyme or reason to it....it's stalled on my dad while driving down the freeway, doing city driving, and back road driving. But throw her in nuetral and she starts right back up. We've only had this car for a couple of years and she's always ran like a charm nad has been the perfect car for my dad, but he won't drive it now because of it stalling out. Can anyone give suggestions or ideas of what could be going wrong?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Mike_s

Check the diagnostic codes. On the CRT display, select the climate screen, then press the off and warm buttons simultainiously, any error codes should then be displayed, if there are any do a search on them here.

I recently had a similar problem and it was the Mass Air Flow sensor, about $200.00 for a remanufactured one from Napa, about 15-30 min to change.

WHEN it stalls, does all the electrical stuff quit? Such as the dash ,radio, lights?

Reason I bring this up, I had a similar experience with an Eldo, and everything quit, but would start right back up; couldn't trust it.

Turns out, the positive battery terminal was slighty loose. Tightened it, and all was fine.

Here's the deal:

There are three red leads going to the + side of the battery; one to the starter, one to the alternator, and one to the big stud just to the rear of the battery that feeds the rest of the car. These leads are usually connected to three lugs stacked inside the red rubber thingy (technical term) held with one bolt to the terminal of the battery. If the stack gets corrosion, or loosens, contact is intermittent. Check it out.

The next two things that come to mind are possible fuel pump or crank sensor issues.

I am looking for some thoughts also on this subject.

I recently bought a convertible in Florida and it will randomly die or the engine will race, no codes. I haven't done anything about it yet but I also recently sold to my son a green '91 and his will randomly die and bring up a lean oxygen sensor code. We have replaced the MAS and the TPS with no help.

???????????

Think the key point is "does just the engine die or do the displays go blank/change to radio (88-89) also".

Have to start dividing down the symptoms to find the problem. With a old car that died you looked for fire, fuel, and air. With a computer car it is a little more complex.

All that said, it there is no change in the displays and no error codes are set, I would check the ignition module (under the coils) next. Crank sensors rarely heal.

Good news is that the basic 3800 "C" engine is the same as millions of others on the road so everything is available.

ps randomly die and race - does this only happen when your foot is not on the gas ? If so clean the IAC first.

I just had the same experience with a 1990 LeSabre my daughter drives. Same drive train. Intermittent. Sometimes while driving. Sometimes when stopped. No codes. I purchased a used ignition module and coil pack from the salvage yard. 75.00 Guaranteed for 90 days. She has not had the problem since. It's been 2 weeks.