Unrestored 1958 Buick Limited Convertible

Centurion

I monitor the '58 Limiteds on Ebay from time-to-time, because I think that these are among the most spectacular 1950's-era Buick -- from an entire decade of spectacular Buicks.

So, this one naturally caught my eye. If the car's description is accurate, this is an unrestored car with an older repaint. The car's general originality makes it highly appealing, and the bidders apparently agree. The bidding zoomed from the $5,000 range to over $52,000 during a single day.

The description notes that many -- or perhaps most -- of the surviving '58 Limited convertibles have sold overseas during recent years. Based on the photos I have seen from the European shows, this appears to be the case.

It's a beautiful car, and I thought it worth pointing out in case some of you had missed it.

1958 Buick Limited Convertible

Guest imported_Thriller

Quite nice...the speedo reminds me of the one on my '56...shows a decent speed when it's standing still.

Guest ewing

lets pass the hat around here and bring that car to Winnipeg.

If every Buick guy in the club kicks in $10,000 we should have more than enough, with a little left over.

John

I'm in. For the time share, I'll take July.

I like it, a lot. I don't really like the convertibles as much as the coupes, but being original like that (except the paint) really makes that car cool. Anyone that would take that car apart to restore it and make it 'perfect' would ruin an irreplaceable piece of history.

It'd be interesting to see what it brings.

Matt

Arctic white is not a 58 Buick color. The name and color codes are different for the 2 58 whites.

The car has been repainted and has had at least one top replacement. That's NOT an original car, it is a car that MIGHT have an original interior. It appears from the photos that the interior might have been redyed at some point. If it has in fact been redyed, then that too is no longer original. The wear spots in the leather and especially in the vinyl are an indication that time has caught up with the materials and deterioration is setting in and may NOT be something that can be stopped.

I would also doubt the 16000 mile claim for a couple of reasons. The speedo seems stuck on 30 mph so it's also very possible that the odometer is stuck or was stuck for some time in the past. I've seen that on some 58's before, the speedo works fine but the odometer doesn't move. The interior wear is somewhat age related but a lot of it appears to be actual wear which isn't likely to happen in 16000 miles.

However all of this is nothing more than a guess based on photos. At the prices bid, seeing the car in person would be a worthwhile investment as that interior is neither cheap nor easy to replace. At least one of the heat seals in the door panels has already started to snap apart and that is not something that can be fixed. In addition, there has been some vinyl patched into the driver's door.

It looks like a decent car, but I would want to see it in person before declaring it an original survivor rather than an car that was restored 30 or more years ago and is now showing wear that would be similar to that of a car that had no restoration.

Guest my3buicks

Being that the 2 whites in 58 are Glacier and Polar, a simple mistake of calling it Arctic would be possible - enjoy the car for what it appears to be - a stunning mostly original top of the line Buick - arguablyan example or the most desireable Buick out there now.

Guest rodney

I'm sure I'll get some flames on this but I really don't like this model Buick. It is a very nice looking car and seems to be in wonderful condition but I think it's gaudy.

I was at a show a few years ago and an old gentleman came up to talk Buicks with me and looked at my car and said something I will always remember; "Buicks are quiet money." I've always believed that Buicks are meant to be elegant but understated. The '58 is over the top in my eyes.

I guess that's what makes owning an old car fun. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the exact same thing. OK, flame away!

Rod

Rodney, no flaming from me. I understand your point of view, and, of course, the '58 Buicks (and Oldsmobiles) are often held up as monumental examples of late-1950's wretched excess.

I will say, however, that it is precisely because of the outrageous, chrome-laden style of the '58 Limited that these cars are highly sought after and often command higher prices than other '50's era Buicks that might be considered more "tasteful".

Buicks Rule, I was pleased to see that the seller has fully addressed the mileage issue in the response he's posted to a question received from a prospective bidder. I'm also thankful that this car still retains the original Flight Pitch transmission.

Guest rodney

Brian,

Well said and you are correct. The '58 is rare and desirable so the price goes way up. To be very honest, I love my '51 Roadmaster but I bet I would be just as happy with a '52 or '53. etc. It's because I happen to own a '51 that causes me to like it as much as I do.

Still, the '58, I don't know . . . the word "pretentious" keeps haunting me.:)

Rod

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think it's gaudy.

The '58 is over the top in my eyes.

</div></div>

Rod, I can surely understand those statements.......What I like about the car, it's different than most you see. I don't know about the color white being correct or not, but it sure appeals to me.

Keith--I agree the owner could simply be mistaken about the color name however the photos lead me to believe that it really is painted Arctic White rather than glacier white. Arctic White has been a stock color for years in the sixties and seventies when the car was likely painted whereas Glacier White was not used for nearly as many years.

It looks to be a nice car, however I still suggest that it might be wise to reserve the "archival/survivor" moniker until someone that has seen the actual car in person and has evaluated it with that designation in mind.

Brian-yes, I'm glad to see that it has the flite pitch as well.

Guest imported_Thriller

Nice car...suspension has been changed as well...it is getting farther from an original survivor to just a really nice car. I wouldn't be upset to see it amongst my stable, but it isn't about to happen at this point as I'm spending too much on the Wildcat.

John, if you want to do the time share thing, you have to realize that July and August should probably be worth 40% of the purchase price each, you know...your $10k doesn't get that far smirk.gif

I like the concept of "quiet money"...it has a nice sort of ring and implication to it...the banker's hot rod is another neat moniker.

Derek,

Air Poise removal often happened under warranty due to problems with the system. BMD even made a special kit to facilitate dealer removal of that option while the car was still under the 90 day ( I think ) warranty that was common in the late 50's. So, that's the one 'change' that really doesn't affect it's status as a survivor.

I notice that the Limited has crossed the $70,000 mark with the Reserve nowhere in sight. If I were bidding on the car, I would be somewhat upset by questions posted in the auction Q&A, one of which is a comment from a non-bidder, stating that he wishes the seller could take the car to the Barrett-Jackson auction, where he thinks the car should command $200,000.

I've mentioned on a few occasions that I wish the diecast manufacturers would select the '58 Limited for an upcoming release. To my surprise, I learned today that a 1/18-scale '58 Limited convertible is on tap for early fall. The 1/18-scale can be great because of the impressive size and reasonable price. Unfortunately, quality of the 1/18-scale releases varies dramatically depending upon price and manufacturer. At the upper end of the scale, I would hold the 1/18 '64 Rivieras, which sell for about $45. In contrast, the 1/18 '57 Roadmaster convertibles, selling for about $20, are disappointing. My fear, based on the pre-sale photos at the various diecast websites, is that the Limited will not receive the treatment it deserves. Still, the final result typically looks much better than the pre-sale photos indicate.

4812.jpg

brian:

Great news about the 58 Limited. Long overdue. If the the picture you posted is close to actual production the model looks good. Too bad the whitewalls are too wide. Trouble is there are too many full size 58s running around with too wide of whitewalls as well; then the model makers select one of these as their prototype and that's what gets copied. We both know that what was the correct width for the early fifties is definitely not correct for the 58s and your 59. Anyway, I've learned about several releases just watching you posts i.e. the 53 Roadmaster wagon. Beautiful model as well. I agree with you on the 57 Roadmaster convertible. Detail has been disappointing but it's hard to knock the price. Look forward to any other new ones you happen to spot. Thanks for the info.

Guest sintid58

I have been waiting for this also. I am afraid you are right about the quality issues but anything has to be better that those awful 1/43 scale cars they have made, and the plastic cars that were available from the dealers are almost all warped.

Yup. Buick went back to the long one for 1958 only. Maybe they needed more room to fit the Air Poise compressor or possibly since 1958 went to a 4 headlight system vs. 1957, Buick had to tighten up the engine bay to hold the same exterior width of the sheetmetal used in 1957. Just a guess.