Leaking Coupe

Got the following note from Dad about the car he Drives Winter, Spring & Fall ('90 Coupe) - I get to Drive it in the summer while my folks Travel. <P>Dad Sent - WE RECENTLY developed a problem with water leaking in on the passenger side at the front of the door. My BUICK guy says this is a problem that all Reatta's of a certain age suffer from and it is a design flaw which cannot be fixed. This does not seem logical to me since it did not occur for the first ten years. What he is doing, he describes as an expedient; he is putting a notch somewhere at the lowest point in the floor. This will enable water to drain out but of course wet the floor covering and cause a smell. If there is a REATTA Club<BR>on line, maybe they have heard of this and have another solution. <P>My reply was - Please, at least for now, do not put the hole through the floor. The best way I can imagine to incur rusty floors would be to penetrate the floor pan Especially is we can expect the carpet to stay wet most of the time. If there can be no other solution, maybe we can try it later after exhausting other less potential damaging approaches. Have you been through a car wash in the car to see where it leaks? You might even ask Mom to spray the car with you inside it. My guess is that the point where the glass presses against the inch wide rubber across the top of the doorway would be the best (weakest) point of the design. Seems to me a few drops came in last year while was in a car wash. I would suspect that the resilliency of the rubber (its a very simple gasket) may diminish over time. I have to believe it can be replaced. I will also check the Reatta website.<P>Any advice? Who's been through this B4?<P>David<BR>

Water leaking between the top of the door glass and the weatherstriping is not uncommon. There was a thread about it on this site a while ago, maybe a search will find it. It can also leak between the door glass and the "vent window" seal.<BR>One fix that cured mine was to put very soft tube type weatherstriping behind the existing piece to push it out slightly to seal better. It only takes just a little pressure to improve the seal, it doesn't need to press against the glass too hard. <BR>If you find the previous post you will see there are other ideas, too. Also, there is a way to adjust the window position if it has loosened over the years. I believe it is mentioned in the service manual (I know I read it somewhere).<BR>A while ago the full door seal was still available from GM. I don't know if it is now, but when I looked into it it was going to be quite expensive to replace. But that would certainly be better than drilling a hole in the floor.

gmparts direct.com handles replacement door rubber..i think it was around 90 something..<B>Got the following note from Dad about the car he Drives Winter, Spring & Fall ('90 Coupe) - I get to Drive it in the summer while my folks Travel. <P>Dad Sent - WE RECENTLY developed a problem with water leaking in on the passenger side at the front of the door. My BUICK guy says this is a problem that all Reatta's of a certain age suffer from and it is a design flaw which cannot be fixed. This does not seem logical to me since it did not occur for the first ten years. What he is doing, he describes as an expedient; he is putting a notch somewhere at the lowest point in the floor. This will enable water to drain out but of course wet the floor covering and cause a smell. If there is a REATTA Club<BR>on line, maybe they have heard of this and have another solution. <P>My reply was - Please, at least for now, do not put the hole through the floor. The best way I can imagine to incur rusty floors would be to penetrate the floor pan Especially is we can expect the carpet to stay wet most of the time. If there can be no other solution, maybe we can try it later after exhausting other less potential damaging approaches. Have you been through a car wash in the car to see where it leaks? You might even ask Mom to spray the car with you inside it. My guess is that the point where the glass presses against the inch wide rubber across the top of the doorway would be the best (weakest) point of the design. Seems to me a few drops came in last year while was in a car wash. I would suspect that the resilliency of the rubber (its a very simple gasket) may diminish over time. I have to believe it can be replaced. I will also check the Reatta website.<P>Any advice? Who's been through this B4?<P>David</B><P>

To stiffen up weatherstriping I would cut it open, slide in a piece of vacuum hose, then glue it back together with RTV. I would not put a hole in the floor.<P>Tom

GM did a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on early Reattas, up through the first part of the '90 model year having leaking problems. It seems to be the worst at the tip of the metal frame for the vent glass. <P>Later Reattas had a revised weatherstrip with an extra rubber ridge molded into the part to help cure this problem. If you order new weatherstripping, it should be the revised version. <P>If you don't want to go to that considerable expense, or don't want to cut your current weatherstripping, there are at least two other solutions. <P>1. Gently pull the weather stripping back from where it meets the headliner. You should see a metal channel that holds the weatherstripping in place. Buy some thin stick-on type weatherstripping about 1/4" thick and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide. Place the new strip against the metal channel, then release the original strip. This should force the old strip out towards the window about 1/8" or so, forcing a tighter seal. Best of all, if you use a narrow strip of stick-on weatherstripping, it won't show at all. <P>2. Check your doors for proper alignment. Although I haven't heard of the same sagging problems with Reatta doors that other GM coupes made in the late 70's and '80s had, if the door post came loose or the hinges are worn, a bad alignment will allow a leak where the glass meets the weatherstripping. <P>Good luck!<P>Joe BCA #35662 <P>------------------<BR>"Speech should not be free because people want to speak; <BR> Speech must be free because people need to hear."<P>1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible<BR>1970 GS coupe<BR>1990 Reatta coupe<BR>1999 Regal GSE<BR>2002 300 HP Regal GNX (I wish!)