'91 convertible / 8,451 miles

Guest inthespot

Guest inthespot

Check out the Blue / Blue and White 91 convertible with 8451 miles on eBay. I like that color combination, it looks good on the Reatta. Starting at a $12,212.14 what do you think it will go for? This will be one to watch.

Sounds like it was a car donated to a technical college, high school or some other type of learning institution.

Some research at the Sloan museum might give more details.

In the meantime, be careful. If it WAS donated to a school, it may have been taken apart and put back together more times than it has miles on the odometer. AND, some of those cars were NOT issued with titles because they were never meant to be put on the road.

Joe

Guest wwollet

Not only that....these cars with the low miles are great...but many mechanics will tell you low mileage can be a curse to the engine and drive train........we all hear about cars that never get to operating temperature or burn off the residue in the motor oil.......then have engine problems.......

Guest Stan Leslie

The car is legit (VIN # 557). It was not donated (must have looked at the wrong VIN). It was in Flint in 2003 as stated and was logged in to the database around that time.

Guest inthespot

Well with the strut brace missing and the low mileage that may cause future engine or transmission problems, I think I would take my chances anyway and go ahead and take it at the $12K plus price. What do you think, that way the current owner will not have to deal with all that hassel he's going to have on down the road.

Guest Stan Leslie

Not sure why you think the strut brace is missing, it is clearly visible in the picture. Convertibles have a triangular flat metal brace located over the battery, different than the "tube type" brace on coupes.

I attended a trade college for automotive repair and remember getting the donated cars. We had Honda's and even a brand new Lexus ES300 but 1. no way were they ever leaving college for resale as they were usually cars with issues unresolved from the factory. Unsafe at any speed. So to have college kids fool around on them, then resell them would put the manufacturer and the college at a huge liability and 2. After what we did and did not do to them, you would not want one! I took the Honda transmission out, tore it down abd reinstalled it usin hand tools on the ground and no prior experience. I got it in just before the semester was over but never got to hear it run or drive.

There is a possility that the car was donated.

The first Reatta I every was involved with was donate to a local trade school and when they got finish they sold it to a friend of mine. With a few trick the title was "washed" and it had a clear title.

They have made it much more difficult to do today.

Guest inthespot

The 91 Blue convertible with 8,451 miles closed Monday the 17th with a bid of $20,288.08 and did not meet the reserve. It did not show what the reserve was but it may be listed again at some time down the road. Or, the seller may have contacted the highest bidder and worked something out with him on a second chance offer which happens from time to time.