Anybody tried/using Multigrade Oil in their '37 motor?

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Guest 1937RHDNZ

I live in a mild/temperate climate, even though it's the most southern city in the world. The lube info for my 1937 special suggests 20 or 20W oil would suit our climate. Our temps run from winter 35 deg to 80 in summer. There are single grade oils available here to suit this and other vintage engine, no problem with that. My question is why can't/shoudn't I use a synthetic oil like, say Mobil 1, 10w-30. Please excuse this question if it has been hammered out before. Regards Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please excuse this question if it has been hammered out before. </div></div>

It's been hammered, rolled, hammered again, and then crushed beyond any semblance of recognition.

The short answer is: Use it, modern oils are way improved over old oils.

Guest ZondaC12

i am guessing this question means using multi-grade in a rebuilt motor? (aka not in a motor that sat for years and years) ive been told since i rescued my 38 to only use non-detergent 30w oil.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Neil:

It's fine to use a good multi-grade oil in your engine, starting AFTER you rebuild the engine. Multi-grade oils also contain detergents that keep the engine much cleaner than old style oils, but the introduction of the new style with detergent additives causes all the old crud in the engine to start coming loose. This can cause ring problems, wall scoring and bearing damage, none of which is any fun and can be very expensive. I hope this clarifies what to do. In short, if the engine has been recently rebuilt (10,000 miles or 5 years), you should be ok. Over those two points, and you're running some risk. A good oil filter always helps all this. Also, if the engine doesn't drip oil, switching can start the leaks anew.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Dave, The motor was reconditioned in 1989, and appears to have travelled only about 6000 miles. There are no oil leaks on the motor. The gearbox is oily and does leave a small mark on the garage floor, I will address that later. I have recently spoken to the guys (a 1000 miles away) who have been servicing the car for the last 5 years and they have been using a 25W-50 oil by Anglomoil (www.anglomoil.com). This oil is designed for pre 1988 engines, and contains detergents, anti-wear and anti-rust treatment, to API SF. This style of oil seems a sensible choice to me, and even though I may not be able to source that brand locally, I will use something very similar. The old 20W-50 is commonly available in a variety of brands.

You mentioned an oil filter, I wasn't aware that this 248 engine had one, apart from a grill in the sump pickup, or have I overlooked something.

Regards Neil

Guest unclefogey

Neil,

Off subject, but I just noticed the town address in New Zealand in your last posting. Do you have any knowledge of the Anthony Hopkins character in the movie "The World's Fastest Indian"? I saw the movie, which I thought was excellent, but read somewhere that the story line was about 50% accurate. Was Invercargill the hometown of the motorcycle racer? I wonder if that lemon tree is still living. grin.gif Do not believe oil filters were standard on '37 Buicks.

John

Guest Fr Mike

Another option is Penrite oils (an Australian company). I use their (lightly detergent) engine oil in my '31 Buick 8-57, and their tranny lube too---because I couldn't find what I wanted any where else in reasonably small quantities. My old 8 banger sounds like a new engine. It is specially designed for old engines and for a wide range in temperature. You might want to check it out.

http://www.penrite.com.au/nextpage.php?navlink=newrecs. Click on "Oil Recomendations" and then on "Cars and Light Vehicles Pre 1970". Check out especially their "Shelsley" oil.

If your car is a driver and you put a good number of miles on it, Penrite stuff may be a bit pricey. But if it's a show car and you don't put over about 1k miles on it in a year (read: change the oil and filter once or twice a year), it may make sense for you.

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Mike,

Yes Penrite Oil is available in town and not overly expensive, I was just exploring some alternatives, cheers Neil.

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Yes I had met Bert Munro in the early 70's, he lived in Invercargill all his life. His bikes, including the World record holding one, are on display right across the street from where I work, they have been, for about 20 years. He was a real character, and the movie is 99% a true story. A number of my friends were involved in the movie. My wife and I went to the 'real' movie premier in town quite some time ago last year. The movie was very authentic, right down to the very finest detail inside his shed, and 'the gods of speed offerings' Glad you enjoyed the movie, I did too. Regards Neil. ps If Bert had tinkered with a Buick 8 motor, he would have had it flying!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Neil:

Buick's general practice was a factory installed oil filter on cars going to dealers west of the Mississippi River here in the USA and on all export vehicles, which would include yours. It's mounted on the right side front of the engine on brackets and is about 4 inches in diameter and 8 or so inches high. The little oil line that goes up to the right front of the head feeds into it and the feed out of the oil filter goes to the head for the rocker arms. As you can see, this only filters part of the oil each time around, but it's suprisingly effective in total. I would think someone in the BCA might have a spare one around that you could get if you wanted one.

Cheers, Dave Corbin

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks for the update Dave. This is the first forum I have ever entered, and I am overwhelmed by the interest and response. Very much appreciated.

My motor certainly does not have an external oil filer, as you describe, all there is visible is the breather outlet on the valve lifter cover. I am reasonably mechanical having rebuilt a few English motors about 30 years ago. I would like to post a picture of the motor, but it is the worst looking part of the car, as some trigger happy spray painter who was probably painting the car, decided to spray everything under the hood black with 'gay abandon'. I have new decals for the rocker cover and I'm working on getting the correct green engine enamel locally.

Does somebody have an image of a 37 special oil filter attachment, I would be intrigued to see it. I also have an original 37 shop manual and it mentions on page 102 "The clean oil supply obtained by the use of the floating screen make the oil filter used on previous models unnecessary".

So now I am in a quandary, did it, does it, or should it have one?

Cheers Neil

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Clive, Yes it didn't look like this motor ever had one. But I do apprecite Dave's knowledge. We shall have to catch up sometime, I have joined the NZ club. My daughter & husband live in Otumoetai.

Cheers Neil