'50 Chrysler Royal - straight 8?

cleaver

ok I'll give this one a try.....

Are we talking about a Buick -8, into a six-banger hole?

I thought this non-GM product only had a flat head in 1950's.

If Buick, the smaller 248ci in eight, might fit, because the block is the same length as a 1930 six.... really, a 1930 six, and a 1931 eight were the same block with more holes.

But, the torch tube rear axel tranny combo, would he a hard transition on to a none buick tranny...

How close did I come?

Guest chriscraft

Cleaver,

I will be installing a 30's era Royal in my 1936 Chris Craft 22' triple cockpit. Twin updrafts, mounted side by side - not inline with the block. The boat came with this engine standard. I have asked over at the WPC forum, never got any response.

I need as much info as possible - including leads on CAPABLE rebuilders for this engine. I can't imagine that there was that much difference between auto and marine in the 30's. Tolerances, maybe.

I have two Royals- the idea is to build the best one.

What do you know about the Royals?

Guest bkazmer

I had a Plymouth flathead 6 and my dad had a Garwood with the "Gray Marine" Chrysler 6. They are similar, but I would check the oiling systems. I recall that a common swap was to put a small block Chevy (yes, boat people had the same problem as car guys) in the smaller wooden boats, but I know some problems occured when the cylinder closest to the bow starved for oil - the boat engine runs at an angle at speed. The other problem area was condensation on the ignition under the engine hatch (Dad said it made a damn poor canoe).

Now a Packard PT boat blown 12 will give that Chris Craft some giddy-up......