WTB 1965 Riviera Gran Sport

I am looking to buy a nice 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport. Should be a matching numbers, original that has a/c and deluxe interior. Additional options would be great!

I hope to find a car from a private party on the West Coast (California, Arizona area), but all good candidates considered.

Thank you for any leads you may have. smile.gif

Randy Moon

ralanmoon@yahoo.com

Randy,

Be patient - and join the Buick Club of America if you have not already done so. In the monthly magazine "The Bugle" you can place wanted ads. You can also join the Riviera Owners Association (ROA), an independent club that co-exists with the BCA. Also, these 65 Gran Sports pop up on ebay about once a month in varied conditions but an ad in either of the clubs or both would elicit a better response.

The Riviera Gran Sport for 65 was a special car and prices have not skyrocketed as some predicted over 10 years ago. You can get a nice driver for $8,000 and a show car for $15,000 tops. California and the west coast in general ought to have several of these but patience must be exhibited.

Good luck,

jake

15K Tops is a little low for this car. I sold one for 26.5 about 8 years ago and a number of others have been over 20 . You can get something to be proud of however for 15K but not a top car. You might find a sleeper , someone that does not know what they are selling for. Good Luck on your search !

Randy,

I'm with Dick on this one! Buy up all the $8,000 "driver" 65 Riviera Gran Sports you can! The car you are looking for as a numbers matching, loaded original will be $20k plus for a good example. As with any collectable muscle car era example, watch out for clones! As the prices go up there will be more regular, non GS Rivs converted over to Gran Sports, as the $8 to $10k premium they bring will be worth it to the less principled out there! Good Luck in your search, and do join the BCA and ROA, both are good investments to make before buying a car!

Tim McCluskey smirk.gif

Of course, I do not have any specific examples right in front of me but I've never seen 65 Riviera GS's sell for over $20,000 in 385 point BCA judged condition. On the other hand, I have seen them on ebay especially, not bring the high dollars that Richard Langworth and Steve Forristall predicted 15 years ago when they said they would be legitimate $50,000 cars.

Clones are bound to be out there, and that is why I recommended joining the ROA and BCA. Less chance of a fellow member selling a bogus car and 2. a member can raid the more knowledgeable of the club for numbers and accesory matching tips.

But prove me wrong please. Show me evidence of 65 Riviera GS's in 385 point BCA form selling for $20,000 plus then show me 'nice drivers' selling for $15,000. I'll stick with my $8,000 driver condition pricing which to me means decent paint (probably a repaint) decent interior with wear, able to drive without any component needing an immediate rebuild, etc.

I agree to watch for the 2x4 thrown on and a GS badge then advertised as a "GS Riviera" but I don't think these cars are that popular where cloning is a big deal.

Randy,

The current issue of Hemmings has a 65 Riv GS for sale. The ad says:

Buick: 1965 Riviera Gran Sport, A9 code, rebuilt LX block, rare early small letter car, factory A/C, loaded, restoration required, $14,950. 602-253-8081, 602-369-2347, AZ www.gmobsolete.com

There is also another one from the same owner that needs complete restoration for $6950. Not sure what the difference is between the two. I tried Collector car trader, but they seem to be having internet issues.

There are 2 in the current Riview, one that says 1965GS, loaded with options for $14,900 @ 1-888-590-2747

Another one that says 1965GS California car, red with black interior, loaded, very clean, $14,500 1-810-785-9179

If I find anything else, I'll let you know!

Tim

I have only owned about 40 Rivieras 6 or 7 Gran Sports. My comment to 3Jakes is that I will buy all of the 65 Gran Sport in the Driver condition described that you can find. This is not a joke I am serious line them up. 3Jakes is only out of date by 10 years .... but then again, not everyone is tracking Rivs, unless you are a Dick Sweeney, he is in the know. I'm sure he will buy them as well. Nice thing about a forum ..... you get opinions from everyone.

Agreed. I was not trying to ruffle feathers. I am wrong a lot too but without a forum discussion then some of these interesting topics never get reviewed. I looked at complete, nice 65 GS project, non running but numbers matching about 12 years ago for $2000. I personally do not like the 65's although I appreciate them. I have owned a 64 Riviera and currently own a 68 Riviera. I am looking for a 63 Riviera project car. I have owned well over 100 cars and turn about 10 cars over annually not including the 3 under restoration now (which are keepers)

Jake and others,

It really doesn't help newbies when someone provides information that's either WRONG, out of date or irrelevant, whether it's about a car, or a club. Seriously, if you don't know for sure, say so in your post.

Sweeney has forgotten more about early Rivs than most of us know, and he's in S. Cal, so he's got a much better handle on what the cars currently go for in Cal restorable condition.

Midwestern rust issues drop the price significantly, I'll bet.

I too would be happy to buy a bunch of nice driver 65's, for $8 each. Just like the opinion of some that you can restore a car for $10K doing the work yourself. Ain't gonna happen, especially if you have chrome work to do.

Randy-you might want to send Sweeney an email or a private message through the forum. Depending on where you are in S Cal, he may be close and may have some ideas of cars available that you might want to look at.

This is a "nice driver" in my opinion. It's at the start of the auction so let's see where it ends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a 65 GS project, should end around $3,000 IF it can be verified. IF the block is the correct block then it looks like the easy to remove engine goodies are gone BUT it looks rust free and otherwise complete. Including wood wheel and air conditioning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe the Hemmings seller is an old car business. I may be wrong but I think it is. In that case, few old car dealers price their cars realistically. They overprice them, especially in the case of muscle cars, in order to get the monied emotional subarban mid-life crisis guy.

IF the 'project' GS ends up around $5,000 to $7,000 as it is inferred that it should by the comments above, then I'll shut up FOREVER on pricing 65 GS Rivieras. If the Missouri driver ends up at $15,000 then I will forever shut up on the issue of 65 GS pricing. But these are real auctions, reserve or not, in different parts of the country that should give a "snapshot" of th market but by no means are they definitive. We would need at least one mint 385 point show car to test that pricing.

Hi Randy, Well neither of these cars appears to be the car that Ramon is looking for in my opinion ...... these are non running and needing a complete restoration and not complete and LW motor is not an LX numbers matching motor.

What we have here is a difference in opinions of a parts car, a driver, and a show car. ReRead his original question and his description of what he would like to have. If fact Ramon, will either of these cars qualify for what you want? Thanks Paul

Guest wildcat65401

I'm curious to know what you guys think a 64' kx code , 30k miles riv

should be worth . someone offered me one recently and I'm thinking about

selling my 63' to get it and then selling the 64' to buy a 65' I know of .

The 63' sounds like its too nice for my to look after correctly and I like to drive my cars alot .

thanks .

post-31239-143137892099_thumb.jpg

Hi 3Jakes, The two cars you brought up on Ebay are not GS's. So they do not support your opinion on prices. Dick Sweeny is THE expert on 65's, I know this from discussions with Dick ( my knowledge is more general on Riviera's but spread over many years ). Prices on these cars are jumping as collectors are looking at them closer and as long as the old car market prices rise, the 65's will go with it. Kevin

I have talked with Mr Moon (Email) and passed on a few tips on what to look for. He/anyone is always welcome to visit and inspect my cars and go over what to look for as well. The best advice I could offer is if he finds a car, have someone that really knows them (Rivs )check it over. Enjoy the Hunt - its half the fun! Dick

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have responded to date (especially Dick Sweeney). smile.gif I am new to the forum and the ROA. Still looking for leads and hope to find a car through a private party.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_65gs76limited

3Jakes,i was wondering if you saw Dick Sweeney's old RivGS on ebay?Pushing 30 G's and still climbing.Tom

I don't know how to comment about that auction. Personally, I think the car is overpriced at $33,000 + but I will probably get blasted for saying that. AND the reserve is not met yet. I did check out the high bidder yesterday and he was a serious bidder with recent mid teens to twenties purchases of classic 60's/70's cars such as a 67 Eldorado. I thought his choices were interesting because there wasn't a muscle car to be had in there, nor a concertible if I recall.

I don't believe that this one auction invalidates all my comments regarding the price range for nice 65 GS Rivieras. I still think you can get a nice one for $15,000 tops.

IF these bidders that have taken this car into the 30,000 range are serious buyers then there are only 2-3 that will be there at the end. Most of the action early on was due to the low starting price of the auction and they have dropped out - and there was a zero feedback bidder in there.

BUT I can say that is a great car that pretty much is the standard of restored GS'Riv's AND I am not sure a similar car could be restored to that level for $35,000. Maybe depending on how much bodywork it needed.

• 3 weeks later...

3 Jakes, I am the one who had the 65 Riviera Gran Sport for sale on Ebay with the high bid of $45,000.00. I did not offer the car to any of the high bidders. Instead I sold the car to a super nice guy from Georgia for $40,500.00. He is going to paint the car and when he is done it will be just perfect. I had several people that wanted me to sell them the car in that $40,000.00 price range. Understand this was not an average 65 Riv GS. Car was clean and solid, drove like it did when new. I have offers on another one I own in that same price range. Again it is a very solid orig. car. I can buy some for $12,000.00 to $20,000.00 but not in the shape I would like. Everyone has their own opinion on a cars condition. Cars that have been well cared for and have seen little or no rain throughout their life are on a different level then most of the cars one sees for the lower price range. These cars are really starting to get a following. My hobby of buying and working on these cars is coming to and end as I can not find any nice well cared for Riviera Gran Sports anymore. If I do find one on this level it is now worth more than I wish to pay for a hobby.

Thank you for adding to the comments on this subject. As some folks know I am not afraid to put my position out there and when I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. Car valuing has been an interest of mine for over 20 years, but I am not an expert.

I now better understand the difference between a $12,000 to $20,000 car and one of your cars. I just browsed ebay today and noted at least 2 of the 65 GS Rivieras on there no where near your car but affordable alternatives.

A lot of potential buyers are not looking to do any restoration and want a car ready to go (witness the winter Arizona based auctions $$$) and price is no object. Thanks again for your comments.

Jake (no2)