Brake Pump Motor Assembly

I am seeking validation of the diagnosis of a brake problem with my '88 Reatta. The symptoms: When applying the brake, I get a shuddering, shaking, noisy (detectable inside the car) squishy sound with doubt as to whether the car will stop or slow or not. Of course, it's intermittent. Dealer's service says it's the Pump Motor Assy at $600 + $240 for labor, diagnostics, etc. Any experience, advice on this one? Oh, I had the sensor and accumulator replaced last August so don't think it's like the other brake problems I see listed here. Thanks.

I tend to agree with Wally. With regard to these ABS systems [i have both Cadillac Allante and Reatta], I don't find replacing components piecemeal effects a lasting fix. Luckily, you can send the entire unit to Prior Remanufacturing for a complete rebuild for less than most charge for a single component. Just bolt it back, flush/bleed the system, reset the codes, and go. I had to do the Bosch III on the Caddy, but system on my 90 Reatta has been fine so far.

Guest wally888

Could be!? the pump , however you can check the pump and other components by giving the car the brake tests at reatta.net Brakes<BR> The shutter, especially if you feel it in the pedal, is probably a Servo Valve in the Valve Block. Cause?<BR> You need to retreive the codes from the ALDL<BR>Very simple, only takes a few minutes. Instructions must be in FAQ.<BR> The dealer/garage may be right on but this sounds as if it may turn into a $2k job!<BR> Several owners have stated intentions of replacing the entire, underhood unit w/ one from Prior. I have nothing, on which, to base recommending them or their product, just know of them. <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> has supplemental info re.88, 89 and 90 Reatta Brakes.<BR>Please inform me of any new info, info needing editing or errors. A work in progress.

Does the shuttering happen when you are not moving and apply the brakes? My guess is no. If it shutters only when you are moving check to see if one of your caliper pins is broken. My brakes shuttered when I applied them and it was a broken pin. Do not drive until you find out what is going on because if both pins break you will drop your entire caliper. Not good.

Thanks for the responses. Here's what I've done. I picked up on the gmpartsdirect site from some of the other messages. I went there and have ordered the Pump Motor Assy for $292 (vs. $600) from the dealter. I hope your experieces with gmpartsdirect is good! And of course I hope the dealer's diagnosis is correct. The part about the motor assy not being the end of the problem is discouraging. Slowly, like many of you, I'm rebuilding this baby but I still love him!!!

Thanks for the responses. Here's what I've done. I picked up on the gmpartsdirect site from some of the other messages. I went there and have ordered the Pump Motor Assy for $292 (vs. $600) from the dealter. I hope your experieces with gmpartsdirect is good! And of course I hope the dealer's diagnosis is correct. The part about the motor assy not being the end of the problem is discouraging. Slowly, like many of you, I'm rebuilding this baby but I still love him!!!