Electrical or Battery or ????

I have only owned this 91 Reatta HDTP since June 99. First problem today. Went to start and all I got was click, tick, etc. Said to myself low battery. Got jump try from neighbor and still fewer clicks, ticks etc. Going to take battery out and have it fully charged. Read all 3 pages of posts with no one else having battery/electrical/start problems. Thanxs

The side post batteries are prone to corrosion problems. I had the same problem you describe and after carefully cleaning the outer portion of the terminals of both the battery and cable connector to no avail, I finally peeled away the plastic covering on the + terminal (cable side) and found it packed with corrosion. I cleaned it all out, reinstalled it on the car withhout the covering and haven't had a problem since.

Sometimes jumpstarting you may not have a good enough conection with the cables to start the car. It may help to try and wiggle the cables when trying to start it. A battery may be so dead that the cables aren't enough. It does not help if the cables are a smaller gauge wire. Sometimes the other car needs to run for 5-10 minutes to charge your battery before starting.<P>As far as what to do unless you have some special tools you better off taking it to a shop and having it checked out. A lot of shops will have a charging/starting check special for something like $20. It's a lower price because they know odds are you need some work done. <P>They should do this:<BR>Charge battery if needed<BR>Load test battery<BR>Check battery cables (voltage drop, load test, visual)<BR>Check charging system volts/amps under different load conditions also in gear with assesories on<BR>Check for paricidic draw (often overlooked) this is checking with an ampmeter for somthing draining the battery like a light staying on<BR>Check your serpenteen belt<BR>Check your starter current draw<BR>Check for voltage at start solenoid S terminal (if needed)<P>It really is a good deal if they do this and are compitant.<P>Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rbenak:<BR><B>The side post batteries are prone to corrosion problems. I had the same problem you describe and after carefully cleaning the outer portion of the terminals of both the battery and cable connector to no avail, I finally peeled away the plastic covering on the + terminal (cable side) and found it packed with corrosion. I cleaned it all out, reinstalled it on the car withhout the covering and haven't had a problem since.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> The terminals and cables on a side terminal battery can be ruined if a minute crack develops between the terminal metal and the plastic case. The acid can leak out very slowly and destroy the connection. Although usally caused by overtightning the cable connections, many bargain aftermarket batteries are weak in this area around the seal. <P>

Don't forget about the possibility of a bad starter. Next time it goes down and won't start, try the headlights and horn. If they seem to work fine, it is likely a bad starter. <P>On a previous '90 coupe, the starter went bad, and when I was replacing it, I was surprised to see it was a VERY small starter motor, made by a foreign source (Mitsubishi, I think.) I was surprised to NOT find the 25-30 pound ol' Delco starter so common to older GMs. <P>After looking around for the rice-burner starter, and being quoted ridiculous prices of $400-600 for a rebuilt unit that had to be specially ordered (several days wait), one part store said he had a listing for the old-fashioned Delco unit. Tried it--worked perfect, never had another problem. <P>If your car has the little starter motor, it may be very tired, pulling something like 400+ amps, when other starters pull about 120+ amps. <P>A good electrical system check will also check for the amperage being pulled by the starter. <P>Joe<BR>BCA#35662

Same problem here, only in winter.<P>If I don't start the car every other day, car does not start. Battery is so dead it won't boost. To avoid this problem, I disconnect a terminal if I know I won't be driving for a few days. Something is drawing current, not sure what.<P>Hope you find a sollution so I can try it on my car!