1925 ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM I JONCKHEERE COUPE

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe.

Car was built for King Edward VIII. It was originally painted with 6 pounds of Gold powder with 17 coats of clear lacquer.

rolls.jpg

how do you collect six pounds of wet sanded gold in the paint

I wonder what happen to the bumper?

The 2010 photo will be with it Kustomized, with the Red Bull can hanging off the back frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It was originally painted with 6 pounds of Gold powder with 17 coats of clear lacquer. </div></div>

Today that weight in gold is worth about $50,000. And that, along with front bumper, driving lights/horn, original registration plate mount, and what I believe were trafficators on the top of the B pillar are now lost. A number of other features (like the roof fabric) appear to have been greatly modified as well.

whoosh8dx.jpg

430910713wUTguA_ph.jpg

Nice street rod.

This car has caused quite a stir lately. The best article I've seen on it yet was in "Sports Car Marketplace" magazine (an outstanding publication if you can find it--if you like the Hemmings auction results, you'll love SCM).

The Rolls was actually rebodied in 1934--nobody was building bodies like that in 1925. It may have been modified by later owners, but the basics of the body, including the round doors (imagine the hinges it must require!) and rear "spine" are still there. To me, the least successful part of the car is the grille. And who says the bumpers and/or driving lights weren't added sometime between 1934 and that first photo in 1940? Clearly those goofy fender markers were added sometime after its construction. Perhaps upon its arrival in America, they had to add bumpers? Those big rubber blocks do not look authentic at all; surely no artist capable of designing such a car would allow those.

I also don't see any evidence of a fabric roof originally--I think the photo above that seems to show a fabric roof is actually the sunroof(s). Those are pretty significant parts of the design that I doubt would have been added later to replace a fabric roof (and not removed by a concours-level restorer if a fabric roof was there originally). A fabric roof would not have accommodated the spine, either.

You'll also note that the louvers in the rear section are squared off, not round as you usually see with stamped louvers. They were created completely by hand, and because no press exists today to duplicate them, they were painstakingly repaired by hand during restoration.

To me, it's a car with history, not a hot rod. The possible removal of bumpers and turn signals doesn't make it any less beautiful nor inauthentic. I understand that you've modified your Nissan truck, Dave--<span style="font-style: italic">nice street rod.</span> You didn't give any thought to the collector who might own that truck in the distant future. Shame on you! tongue.gif

Or maybe this is just what "street rods" looked like in 1934. It doesn't have its <span style="font-style: italic">original</span> 1925 Barker (I think) roadster body on it any more. If this were your car, Dave and/or Pete, would you have trashed the custom body and recreated the original roadster body to put back on the chassis? Because that would be more <span style="font-style: italic">correct</span> and certainly more <span style="font-style: italic">authentic</span> for purists. Or would it? It would still be a "re-creation" of an original body. Hmmmmm...

Guest bkazmer

I had not seen this car in a long time - since it was gold. It used to travel in a closed truck as a parking lot attraction.

This car is currently in the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles. Saw it myself in October. Amazing to see up close. Well worth a half-day to see the museum if you are anywhere near Los Angeles. Also, if there, consider making advance reservations also to tour the Nettercut museum. Will make any antique car fan cry for joy to see these two fine collections.

post-32808-143137891529_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

If the car was originally built for Edward VII, and the first photo was from 1940, do we presume that the lady lounging on the door is Wallis Simpson ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I understand that you've modified your Nissan truck, Dave--nice street rod. You didn't give any thought to the collector who might own that truck in the distant future. Shame on you! </div></div>

My Nissan wasn't modified by a second or third "restorer" (God knows how many owners later) 72 years after an historic rebody. Every last item I mentioned was still on the car in 1990 (probably including the gold), look at the photos. When people start pitching the bumpers and other accessories off of The Sunshine Special for aesthetic reasons in another 5 years, we'll talk. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this were your car, Dave and/or Pete, would you have trashed the custom body and recreated the original roadster body to put back on the chassis? Because that would be more correct and certainly more authentic for purists.</div></div>

What about this part of my question? Isn't a "rebody" against everything you believe in about the "purity" of our hobby? Or are certain modifications OK as long as they were tastefully done a long time ago? Does that mean that if some of today's street rods last long enough (say, "Scrape" a high-quality rod which uses its original V12), they'll be purebloods?

Just so I have this straight: taking off bumpers that may or may not have been part of the original design, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">BAD.</span></span>

Taking off an original body and putting another one on, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">GOOD.</span></span>

That's mighty subjective of you, Dave. Having your cake and eating it too, eh? grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so I have this straight: taking off bumpers that may or may not have been part of the original design, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">BAD.</span></span>

Taking off an original body and putting another one on, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">GOOD.</span></span> </div></div>

Ignoring all conventions of historical preservation for the sake of a pretty day in the park, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">PRICELESS</span></span>

Ignoring the implications of condoning this kind of fudging of an important automotive historical artifact is the ultimate <span style="font-style: italic">" Having your cake and eating it too"</span>. Pretending not to see the connections between this car and something like The Sunshine Special or the Phantom Corsair is to someday condemn those cars to eventual <span style="font-style: italic">Seventeen</span> magazine style cosmetic makeovers as well.

If it helps you to think I'm dismissing or lamenting over a <span style="font-style: italic">l-o-n-g</span> lost 1925 roadster body of far less significance, fine. Shallow approaches to problems require shallow analyses.

Next we'll have Hal Holbrook's picture on the $5 bill. He <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> better looking.

Matt, Thank you for the basic history on the car. I saw it on a tour of the Petersen basement years ago shortly after it arrived there, butt ugly car was my first impression. The restoration has done wonders for it, but it is best viewed from the rear with everything forward of the firewall blocked out. The current issue of Classic & Sports Car has a feature on it. The doors remind me of a front loading washing machine.